PDA

View Full Version : Having a senior moment, what do you call it.

Lee Schierer
01-13-2011, 10:13 AM
I don't come to this side often, but I need an answer that is probably at the finger tips or tip of the tongue for most folks that frequent this board.

What is the name of a tool you make for putting grooves along the length of a board. Normally a hand made tool with a custom profile, not a commercial plane. It is normally a hack saw blade or scraper that is held in a couple of pieces of wood with an edge guide to scratch grooves or contours into the face or edge of a board.

Anyone have any photos of one?

Heather Thompson
01-13-2011, 10:17 AM
Beading tool.

Heather

Sorry, no pic

David Weaver
01-13-2011, 10:28 AM
Scratch stock.

Lee Schierer
01-13-2011, 10:44 AM
Scratch stock.

Thanks David, that is the term I was looking for.

lowell holmes
01-13-2011, 10:53 AM
Man, what a relief!!

I now know I'm not the only one.

:p

Chuck Tringo
01-13-2011, 10:55 AM
A scratch stock can be as simple as a scrap of wood with a profiled cutter like the ones in the Stanley 66 the Sean posted above placed in a saw kerf, or as nice as the wooden beader from Veritas. Lee Valley and Lie nielsen also sell profiled blades if you want to make your own scratch stock.

Lee Schierer
01-13-2011, 12:37 PM
I've made them before, and even have one sitting on a bech at home that was made for repairing an antigue cabinet from a piece of hacksaw blade. I just couldn't remember the name when my daughter was looking for help making a pinewood derby car for her son. He wants to make tracks on it for two smaller cars and she was trying to figure out how to make the grooves for the wheels.

Terry Beadle
01-14-2011, 4:24 PM
178039Lie-Neilson has a beading plane that is really a step above a scratch stock.

A bit pricy but a very versitile tool IMO.

Don Morris
01-16-2011, 1:12 AM
Oh, God, now I've got to get another LN tool I thought I could do without.