PDA

View Full Version : cutter tips?

bobby lynn
01-13-2011, 12:37 AM
On making the Jamieson style captured hollowing system what do most of you use for cutting tips that you put in the end of the boring bar? Just buy them from Jamieson? If so, what tips? Straight, angled, carbide scraper?
Just making the captured system and need to know what I need on the end of the boring bar for hollowing.
Thanks fellows.

Dan Forman
01-13-2011, 1:02 AM
If you live in a town large enough to have a machine supply store, you can get 2.5" long 1/4" and 3/8" HSS M2 bits. You may have to cut these down to more manageable lengths for some tasks, easily done with a cutoff wheel on an angle grinder. The bits are quite reasonably priced from a machine shop. The tips themselves are straight, there are various holders that allow you to set an angle. I have a Monster system, and everything came with it, so I'm not sure how other accessories will fit with your rig.

Dan

John Keeton
01-13-2011, 7:35 AM
Enco has them, as well -
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=383-5312&PMPXNO=939775
and http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=383-5316&PMPXNO=939967

Steve Schlumpf
01-13-2011, 8:34 AM
I use the same source as John in 1/8", 3/16", 1/4" and 3/8" stock.

Bob Haverstock
01-13-2011, 9:09 AM
On making the Jamieson style captured hollowing system what do most of you use for cutting tips that you put in the end of the boring bar? Just buy them from Jamieson? If so, what tips? Straight, angled, carbide scraper?
Just making the captured system and need to know what I need on the end of the boring bar for hollowing.
Thanks fellows.

Bobby, I have a captured system that I have made. The tip is mounted in the bar at an angle so that I can blend into the face of end of the bore. For me, 1/4" HSS is the preferred material. Be patient, the system will teach what if likes and doesn't like.

Bob Haverstock

Harry Robinette
01-14-2011, 12:20 AM
Bobby
I use a piece of M2 HSS I get from Harbor Freight they work great and are only like $5.99 I think, these are in a set of 5 different shaped pieces,.I also have a tear drop made from old jointer blade just grind the shape so the hole in the blade is centered or grind it so the hole becomes a slot.This is used to finish the inside and does a great job. Remember the smaller the cutter the less control but faster cut,I normally use 1/8 or 3/16 to do major cutting then the tear drop. Hope this helps.
Harry
PS:You have to have flat top with screw hole for the tear drop,I have a movable tip like sorby malti-tip on my captured hollower.