PDA

View Full Version : Frame and Map

Kyle Kaldor
01-12-2011, 10:46 PM
This is a frame and map that my brother and I made for our dad. I made the frame from QSWO. It has open mortise and tenon joints (not sure if this is the proper term or not), and I used walnut Miller dowels as well in the joints.

As far as the map goes, it is a map of the area surrounding my dad's farm (hunting land). My brother had it printed and laminated with dry-erase laminate. It was then mounted on foam backer board and also backed up with 1/8" masonite.

The intention is to use the map as a tool for planning our deer hunts. Before my dad would just wave his arms and draw in the dirt/snow/gravel, which, to be honest was hard to follow for those who don't know the lay of the land and not the best way to explain it. So now we can just look at the map and plan our hunts.

Dave MacArthur
01-13-2011, 12:57 AM
Nice work, and every hunting camp should have one of those!
Before Google Earth etc., my Dad and I went up in a light plane and took several photos of our hunting land around the family farm in MI, then did exactly like you--laminated plastic on top, foam backerboard and masonite behind. Our frame isn't as nice for sure though!

Turned out that we all ended up liking the hand-drawn map one of the last generation made, with all the stand names -- "Arlie's Squatting", "Johny's Marsh Deer Wrestling Area" etc. :)

You'll enjoy using that map for sure!

John Grossi
01-13-2011, 5:36 AM
Kyle, great looking frame and map. Reading your thread brought back some memories of my hunting days. Your dad has to love this. Thanks for sharing. John

Jim Rimmer
01-13-2011, 11:35 AM
Great frame and great idea.

David Thompson 27577
01-14-2011, 3:34 PM
Great frames, great idea, great story.

And for what it's worth, I think that those joints might be "bridle" joints.

Kyle Kaldor
01-14-2011, 4:43 PM
Thanks for the compliments, everyone. Thanks, David, for clearing up the joint terminology. I'm never good with terminology.