PDA

View Full Version : Woohoo! First case of galoot pattern baldness

Derek Gilmer
01-12-2011, 10:30 PM
Had a little free time after church and decided to break out my mutt like assortment of sharpening gear and give it a go with some chisels I just got in.

My setup is mostly "scary sharp" with a 800/4000 stone from the classifieds and a veritas mkII guide. I followed standard protocol, lapped the back up to 4000, then work on the bevel. It needed some work so I started at 400 grit sand paper and worked up through 800 (stone), 1200, 1500,2000 and finished with a 4000 stone.

The result wasn't as sharp as I'd like, the hair didn't fall off my arm by mearly pointing the chisel at it but it did leave a pretty smooth shave. And it sliced through some pine end grain nice and clean.

The next step is to try putting a micro bevel on and getting some buffing compound to strop it on mdf.

Jon Toebbe
01-12-2011, 11:10 PM
"Galoot pattern baldness..." hehe, I like that. I'll admit I've got a thin patch on the right forearm, though lately I've found the "edge catches on your thumbnail" method to work pretty well, and without the mange. :)

Sam Takeuchi
01-12-2011, 11:32 PM
You are mixing abrasive paper grit number and water stone grit number. They don't correspond. There is a grit size comparison chart posted here before but I don't have it saved to repost here. If I remember right, #2000 abrasive paper is finer than #4000 already. Especially if you are using micro bevel, you don't need this many papers either. In fact, I would suggest using 800 (stone), 4000 (stone) and 2000 (paper).

Also if you are putting micro bevel, you don't have to separate the process. If you are following above suggestion, you can work on the primary bevel with 800 & 4000 stone, and add micro bevel with the finest and last paper. Micro bevel doesn't need to be wider than the width of a hair or two, just enough to polish the cutting edge and remove groove from the previous grit.

Jim Koepke
01-13-2011, 2:22 AM
There is a grit size comparison chart posted here before but I don't have it saved to repost here.

Here is the post with the abrasive comparison chart:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?105499-Sharpening-Questions-and-Waterstone-Selection&p=1063417

It indicates the 2000 paper to be about 6µ or the same as a black or translucent Arkansas stone. A 4000 stone is 2 - 3.6µ depending on the maker.

Then we get into the discussion of whether or not any of these abrasives become finer with use…

My current opinion on sharpening is if it is working, then you are doing something right. This opinion is subject to change without rhyme or reason.

jtk

Derek Gilmer
01-13-2011, 8:55 AM
Looking at the chart I think I the 4000 stone should a little finer than the 2000 paper by a few micron. It is hard to be sure but I'd guess that is true in my case. I got much closer to a polished edge on the stone than with the paper. Either way it feels good to get a good edge. I'd tried before and could never quite get it to shave. But that was on a very poor blade I found at an estate sale and I didn't have the 4000 stone then. I wasn't sure if the blade was the problem or not having a finer stone.

Looks like my project tonight is to try my hand at the other blade and see what happens and start shopping for 8000 stone.

Sam Takeuchi
01-13-2011, 8:57 AM
Thanks Jim. I may have cited a wrong chart. I've seen the one Jim posted, but the one I referred to is this one (http://www.straightrazorplace.com/forums/attachments/advanced-honing-topics/28789d1249599591-abrasive-grit-comparison-sheet-grit-comparison-aug-6-2009.pdf). It may or may not have been posted here before. I just remembered seeing it somewhere and found it really good. It's quite detailed. Also Brent Beach's list of grit sizes (http://www3.telus.net/BrentBeach/Sharpen/jig%20faq%2006.html#ab6) places CAMI 2000 grit around the vicinity of 1 micron. I haven't found anyone referring CAMI 2000 grit as 6 micron or anywhere around other than this chart Jim posted, so I'm not too confident about this particular chart.

So unless OP is using papers on different grit system, I think 2000 grit paper is still the finest grit he has. But since I'm far from knowledgeable about this stuff, I may be way off. I'm normally on JIS and FEPA system.

Derek Gilmer
01-13-2011, 9:08 AM
Thanks Jim. I may have cited a wrong chart. I've seen the one Jim posted, but the one I referred to is this one (http://www.straightrazorplace.com/forums/attachments/advanced-honing-topics/28789d1249599591-abrasive-grit-comparison-sheet-grit-comparison-aug-6-2009.pdf). It may or may not have been posted here before. I just remembered seeing it somewhere and found it really good. It's quite detailed. Also Brent Beach's list of grit sizes (http://www3.telus.net/BrentBeach/Sharpen/jig%20faq%2006.html#ab6) places CAMI 2000 grit around the vicinity of 1 micron. I haven't found anyone referring CAMI 2000 grit as 6 micron or anywhere around other than this chart Jim posted, so I'm not too confident about this particular chart.

So unless OP is using papers on different grit system, I think 2000 grit paper is still the finest grit he has. But since I'm far from knowledgeable about this stuff, I may be way off. I'm normally on JIS and FEPA system.

Not sure what the standards should be. I got the paper from a local auto parts store and it was pretty cheap so I may have some very poor paper so they weren't as picky on grit control. But the 4000 stone leaves a more polished surface to my eye than the paper. Now that I know I can sharpen by hand I'll be looking for either better paper and/or stones.

Sam Takeuchi
01-13-2011, 9:29 AM
You'll definitely see improvement on your edge quality going from #4000 stone to #8000 stone. A lot of manufacturers produce #8000 stones, and they all have different characteristics and cutting/polishing qualities, but most of them normally produce edge that is plenty sharp enough for most woodworking needs.

Also there are many stones that will not leave blade in mirror polished condition even if they are indicated as high grit number. I don't know the exact science or reason behind it, but some stones or abrasives leave edge somewhat gray and hazy. Personally I don't think that is an indication of inferior edge compared to mirror polished edge. But it's not a good subject to discuss here. This was discussed before and normally degrades into clash of "polishers" and "hazies", claiming polished edge is superior over hazy edge, or hazy edge is just as sharp and good. If you search for it, there should be one from last year. It is an interesting read up to a point.

Derek Gilmer
01-13-2011, 9:34 AM
This was discussed before and normally degrades into clash of "polishers" and "hazies", ... It is an interesting read up to a point.

Ahh the nature of all forums on the internet. Someone has to have something to argue over. Feels like politics and religion :)

Thanks for all the good info. I'm on the backorder list for a worksharp 3000 from hd. If that falls through I'll definitely pick up a 8000 stone.

lowell holmes
01-13-2011, 10:57 AM
Some of Lee Valleys green buffing compound on a small piece of mdf works really well for final polishing.

I have a set of Norton water stones. They do really well also.