PDA

View Full Version : table saw jointer

sean c kelly
01-12-2011, 9:59 PM
Hadn't seen this before and thought it was clever. Sorry if it's old news.
http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/2005/01/28/wb/

scott spencer
01-12-2011, 10:16 PM
That is a clever jig, but every edge jointing jig that I've ever seen has the same drawback....they don't flatten the face. Without a true flat face, the adjacent edge won't be consistently 90° to the face. Work arounds are indeed possible, but none are a true replacement for a jointer IMHO.

Steve H Graham
01-12-2011, 10:31 PM
Somebody here told me to tape boards to a piece of MDF that has a factory edge up against the table saw fence. I tried it, and it works every time, flawlessly. Takes two minutes. I face-joint on the planer, so perpendicularity is not an issue. The jig seems like a huge waste of time.

Disclaimer: I still gave up and ordered a real jointer. Face-jointing on the planer is okay when the wood isn't too bad to start with, but it's a giant pain when the wood gets really crooked. My planer actually farted a piece of mahogany back at me.

David Hostetler
01-12-2011, 10:38 PM
Somebody here told me to tape boards to a piece of MDF that has a factory edge up against the table saw fence. I tried it, and it works every time, flawlessly. Takes two minutes. I face-joint on the planer, so perpendicularity is not an issue. The jig seems like a huge waste of time.

Disclaimer: I still gave up and ordered a real jointer. Face-jointing on the planer is okay when the wood isn't too bad to start with, but it's a giant pain when the wood gets really crooked. My planer actually farted a piece of mahogany back at me.

Great, now my wife thinks I'm nuts... I am sitting here laughing at a forum... I think the idea of a farting planer is hilarious... I guess I need to go back to Jr. High to get my comedy fix...