PDA

View Full Version : Budding Turner seeks advice...

Jay Kilpatrick
04-11-2003, 1:46 PM
Hey folks,
Simple question here...

I have an add in front of me that says Poulan Pro 295, 20" blade, 46cc engine, used twice & in Great condition, case included. $140.

I'd be using it moderately (ie. when I find decent wood in suburbia) for sawing up trees and preping blanks for turning stock. Provided the add is true to life if and when I see this machine, is it worth it? Reconditioned units at retail sources price out at just above this. I also realise that Poulan isn't exactly a respected name by many, and its certainly not a peer to either of the oft seen Stihl or Husky. Just looking at my options here as I may drop by to look at this saw after work today.

Thanks,
~Jay
:confused:

Kevin Gerstenecker
04-11-2003, 3:00 PM
Jay, if you are looking for a Saw for occasional work, and this sounds like the use it will see, this saw should do the job for you. I have never owned a Poulan, but I used to be in the Landscape Construction business, so I know something about Chain Saws. I have always been a Stihl Man myself, and I have put them thru the paces, from using one commercially to now using one for my own Firewood Purposes. I have a few buddies who have Poulan Saws that they use for light home use, and firewood cutting several times a year. They have no qualms about the saws, and so long as they are maintained properly and keep a sharp chain on them, they do the job just fine for them. IMO, I think I would check it out, and if you are comfortable with the price, and it starts easily and you can hear it run, or perhaps make a test cut or two, go ahead and get it. I am sure it will accomplish the task you mentioned, the lower end, non commercial saws just aren't intended for hard, commercial type use they often are used for. I think that is where some saws get a bad rap..........end users expect too much from them, and when they don't perform up to what they were never designed for in the first place, they get bad mouthed.

Von Bickley
04-11-2003, 3:16 PM
Originally posted by Kevin Gersty
Jay, if you are looking for a Saw for occasional work, and this sounds like the use it will see, this saw should do the job for you.

I have a few buddies who have Poulan Saws that they use for light home use, and firewood cutting several times a year. They have no qualms about the saws, and so long as they are maintained properly and keep a sharp chain on them, they do the job just fine for them.

I agree with Kevin,
Check it out...
It needs to start easily, idle good and not cut off, and have a sharp chain.

Brad Hammond
04-11-2003, 3:23 PM
and it maybe the exact model. it does a good job for me. it performs the jobs you're looking for without difficulty. if truth be known, if i HAD to buy a new one right now i'd look for a stihl. they out perform my saw hands down. with that said, i've used it to fall some pretty big trees and cut up trunks, but it takes a little work.
bottom line,,,,,,, light work-- good saw, felling trees and dealing with logs bigger than 24-30"--- it's probably a little light.
probably operator error anyway.
cya
brad

Steve Clardy
04-11-2003, 7:06 PM
They do ok with them. Firewood, etc.
Haven't heard any bad raps on Poulan.
I'm a Jonsered fan myself. I have two 630 supers, running 24" bars. Have done a lot of logging and firewooding. I agree with the others, if it starts easy, stays running, doesn't look like it got run over by a Mack truck, go for it. Sounds like a decent price. Steve

Jay Kilpatrick
04-16-2003, 11:53 AM
Thank you to Kevin, Von, Brad, and Steve for replying to my original post. I missed out on the particular saw I was asking about; its seems there are others in the world who read the Wright-Patterson AFB newspaper and don't work 10-12 hour days...Humph! Well, have no fear taxpayers, the only time I spend not working for you is when I'm talking to you here.

The good news...I found the exact model saw, used but professionally overhauled /repaired /reconditioned /whatever from the base lawn and garden center for right about the same price. This one has 2 chains, 20" bar ,the case, manual, and they threw in a bottle of 2 cycle, a bottle of bar oil, and a coupon for a gallon of gas from the station on base. I just got it last night and haven't gotten the opportunity to fire it up. Best part is...if its good 'nough I'll have a keeper, if not I can take it back within 30 days and continue my search.
Thanks again,
~Jay

Lee Schierer
04-16-2003, 12:28 PM
I picked up a used one a number of years ago. It has worked fine. I've let mine set for over a year with gas in it and it starts with just a few pulls, runs as long as I care to cut with it and hs plenty of power for a saw of its size.

Don't know if it would win the Lumberjack Challenge, but it works fine around the house for trimming and dead trees.