PDA

View Full Version : Just finished

Travis Stinson
01-12-2011, 6:27 PM
I just finished this one up and figured ok, might as well post it up.
Some specifics: Mahogany body and neck, quilted Maple cap on body and headstock (w/ honey amber and cherry sunburst dye), Macassar Ebony fretboard, gold Jescar EVO jumbo frets, gold Mother of Pearl inverted diamond fretboard inlays/side dot markers and logo, gold Gotoh tuners and Floyd Rose tremelo, Seymour Duncan JB Trembucker and SH Jazz pickups w/ gold covers, gold metal control knobs w/ CTS pots, ivory pickup trim rings and binding on body, neck and headstock. Lawrence McFadden instrument lacquer finish.

Larry Fox
01-12-2011, 8:08 PM
Travis - that is a beauty, nicely done. Any build pics?

Travis Stinson
01-12-2011, 8:46 PM
Thanks Larry. I've got a few of different stages, including some not-so-good cell phone pics from the shop.

John Coloccia
01-13-2011, 12:45 AM
What was your inspiration for the body shape? It feels very familiar for some reason but I just can't quite put my finger on it. The truss rod cover was a nice touch. I normally wouldn't like the headstock referenced in the truss rod cover and would think it's very cheesy, but it seems just right on yours.

Travis Stinson
01-13-2011, 7:16 AM
I've always dug the Ibanez Iceman, so that probably influenced it more than anything else. I've had the design in my head for many years and refined it when I made the template. When I drew out the headstock I tried several differents trussrod cover designs, but kept going back to this one....like you said, it just seemed right. I've done a couple more with Ebony covers, but that didn't look right with this color scheme, so I just stuck with the cream.

John Coloccia
01-13-2011, 9:33 AM
The Iceman. Yes!! Once you said it, it all clicked!

Chris Fournier
01-13-2011, 10:49 AM
Nice quilted and superb colour work! I'm not super fussy about the body shape but the craftsmanship certainly wins me over. Is this for yourself or a customer?

Travis Stinson
01-15-2011, 1:39 PM
I'm keeping this one Chris, she just plays so nice.

Chris Fournier
01-15-2011, 2:03 PM
There are some instruments that you just have to hang onto. After all the work it's nice to get to enjoy the fruits of your labour.