PDA

View Full Version : Cermarked motorcycle hubcap

Dave Gates
01-12-2011, 5:52 PM
Just did this for a friend today. I thought it turned out pretty good and it fits nicely on my little acrylic stand. Hub cap diameter is 7 inches.

Dee Gallo
01-12-2011, 7:54 PM
Nice one, Dave. I'm interested in DETAILS! Where did you get the piece, how do you know if it's the kind of chrome that works with cermark, where did you focus to get the curve to engrave, what kind of settings did you need to use?

I have a couple of guys in Houston who want to have some done but I never did motorcycle parts before, so I'd like to do tests before I tell them I'll do their parts. From what I understand some of those parts are very expensive. So I'd rather not buy some if I can get something cheaper, nor would I want to ruin their parts with inexperience. But if I could do it, the money is VERY good for this kind of work.

Thanks for sharing, dee

Scott T Smith
01-12-2011, 11:57 PM
Great workmanship but one comment.... That appears to be a clutch case cover from a Harley Davidson - not a hubcap.

Steven Wallace
01-13-2011, 1:04 PM
Dee, Check into your local automotive or motorcycle graveyard (Auto/motorcycle re-cycler) and see if they have some parts that you can pick up for pennies on the dollar to run some tests on. I did some parts for a person earlier and they looked great when I delivered them. It seems that the chrome polish he uses has a small abrasive substance in it that eventually started to breakdown the mark.

Steven Wallace
01-13-2011, 1:05 PM
Great workmanship but one comment.... That appears to be a clutch case cover from a Harley Davidson - not a hubcap. I believe it is a derby cover as they are called.

Robert E Miller
01-13-2011, 2:37 PM
It is a Derby Cover. I engrave all kinds of parts for Harley's and so forth. I also have my own products I designed for them as well. My Harley has a bunch of prototypes on it that get taken all over to show off. The laser I just bought is to help with my engraving instead of just on my cnc. Derby covers use to be big sellers but have slowed down.

Dee Gallo
01-13-2011, 2:39 PM
Dee, Check into your local automotive or motorcycle graveyard (Auto/motorcycle re-cycler) and see if they have some parts that you can pick up for pennies on the dollar to run some tests on. I did some parts for a person earlier and they looked great when I delivered them. It seems that the chrome polish he uses has a small abrasive substance in it that eventually started to breakdown the mark.

Good suggestion, Steven, I'll do that! Thanks! You can tell I'm not a motorhead or I'd have thought of that...

So will a clear coat protect from abrasive polishes or do you just tell the customer to take it easy?

cheers, dee

Dave Gates
01-13-2011, 5:16 PM
Dee, I used the LMM-6000 Cermark with 100% Power 43% Speed and 500PPI. I focused halfway between the lowest point on the image and the top of the material. This was my test piece and it turned out great on the first run. The piece came off of a friend's Harley. He had a few of the covers laying around so he wasn't concerned about sacrificing a piece if it messed up.

Steven, your right it is a derby cover. I'm more of a mountain biker than a motorcycle guy.

Bruce Dorworth
01-13-2011, 6:07 PM
I believe it may be called a derby cover. Here is a website that has a whole business built around Motorcycle parts. Does anyone have an idea how he is doing all the different colors?

http://www.custom-engraving-ltd.com/index.html

Bruce

Dee Gallo
01-13-2011, 6:54 PM
Thanks Dave, I'll keep those settings for later.

Bruce - They must use standard color fill techniques. Looks to me like they do the engraving on bare metal which is chromed afterwards: from the site - "Once approved, the part is engraved/plated/painted."

Darryl Hazen
01-14-2011, 2:37 PM
[QUOTE=Bruce Dorworth;1609292]Does anyone have an idea how he is doing all the different colors?

Those are not laser engraved. If you look closely they are engraved deeply and the painted.

Steven Wallace
01-14-2011, 8:58 PM
Dee, I am sure a clear coat may help but I am not sure that customers would want clear coat on their chrome. I am going to a sample someday and see what is best for cleaning and polishing for lasting results. I think waxing the chrome may help shed the grime and water spots so that the parts can just be wiped clean with a chamois or microfiber cloth.