PDA

View Full Version : gloat

charlie knighton
01-12-2011, 4:45 PM
received a package today

thank you Jerry marcaantel

a faceplate with screws of Jerry's design, cool, i believe this is mesquite blank, and a hole thing

what is this holely thing, is it catus??????? i can chuck on one end with Jerry's faceplate, other end will tailstock hold it??????

help with this holely thing, it will be a challange :D

Tim Rinehart
01-12-2011, 5:00 PM
hmm...what mesquite, or cactus...my eyes went to the cookies!

Phillip Key
01-12-2011, 5:10 PM
The holey thing looks like dried cholla cactus (http://www.hermitcrabpatch.com/Cholla-Climber-Large-p/cl011.htm). You can buy it in pet stores for crabs and lizards to climb in/on. Not sure what you could do with it on the lathe, though.

Can I have a cookie?

tom martin
01-12-2011, 5:13 PM
I'm with you Tim-a bakers dozen no less!!!!
That is a nice design on the faceplate and the mesquite log isn't too shabby!!!!!!! I don't know what the holy thing is?
You don't turn in the kitchen do you Tim??? I have seen a guy make curly fries at the lathe and if you moved your bandsaw in too, you could cut steaks and chops! I wonder how fast you could peel a carrot at the lathe??????

Roger Chandler
01-12-2011, 5:13 PM
That is really nice, Charlie! Jerry must be a really nice person to send those! I kinda like the looks of those cookies....:D....makes me hungry!;)

Tim Rinehart
01-12-2011, 5:20 PM
I'm with you Tim-a bakers dozen no less!!!!
I have seen a guy make curly fries at the lathe ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XMBbYM11I8

Bernie Weishapl
01-12-2011, 6:53 PM
Congrats Charlie. Looks like a nice haul.

David DeCristoforo
01-12-2011, 7:03 PM
OK... someone's gotta ask. Did you turn those cookies?

Michael James
01-12-2011, 7:31 PM
Cholla cactus is correct, and nice chunk of mesquite there! Are those chocolate chip cookies? Home made, from a box, a tube?
Nice Gloat. Yeah, Jerry's one of the good guys for sure!
mj

Tim Thiebaut
01-12-2011, 7:42 PM
Man those cookies look good, wood is ok to!

Jerry Marcantel
01-12-2011, 8:41 PM
a faceplate with screws of Jerry's design, cool, i believe this is mesquite blank, and a hole thing
]
Hi Charlie and others, that is Cholla and since you now have one of my chuck plates, make another one at least the size of you chuck jaws with only the 4 screws around the center. Leave the center screw out, and use the screw hole as a center for your tailstock and turn the cholla. To make a hollow form, you would need to drill out the center of the cholla, and make a plug for what you just drilled out. Glue it in and use that end at the taikstock, turn a tenon, chuck it and then hollow it out. I don't think you could quarter it and make pen blanks. That is mesquite, and no, I didn't do the cookies. Boy, they do look good though.............

[QUOTE=Michael James;1608489] Yeah, Jerry's one of the good guys for sure!
mj[/QUOTE
Michael, don't go spreading those kinds of rumors.......... Jerry (in Tucson)

Baxter Smith
01-12-2011, 8:53 PM
The chollar cactus turnings that I have seen are pretty neat. I could see my wife wanting to make a night light thing out of one.
Pretty piece of mesquite as well. The cookies will go down well while you think about what you are going to do!

charlie knighton
01-12-2011, 10:14 PM
thanks for the instructions/hints, it should be interesting and thank you Jerry for the goodies, i have been eating cookings and trying to figure it out, i may slow the lathe down, that was as far as i had got.....the tailstock is your friend,

oh, do you turn the outside?????????

Roland Martin
01-13-2011, 9:32 AM
Nice gloat Charlie, anxious to see what comes out of those. Nothing like cookies to get the creative juices flowing!

Jerry Marcantel
01-13-2011, 10:36 AM
thanks for the instructions/hints, it should be interesting and thank you Jerry for the goodies, i have been eating cookings and trying to figure it out, i may slow the lathe down, that was as far as i had got.....the tailstock is your friend,

oh, do you turn the outside?????????
Charlie, turn it like you would turn any piece of wood. When you reach your desired shape, hollow it. If you think you need support to keep it from blowing up, tape it, put rubber bands or hose clamps around it after you shape it..
I had 2 pieces explode on me because I did my outside shape, hollowed it as best as I could with my limited tools, didn't like the outside shape, and went back to the ouside.... I didn't use the advice others on using stuff described above... I usually turn at least a 1000 rpm after I'm comfortable with it... Jerry (in Tucson)

charlie knighton
01-13-2011, 4:34 PM
thanks again Jerry, i do not know anything about these things, i could not find even a picture of one, thanks

Jerry Marcantel
01-13-2011, 11:06 PM
Charlie, here are a couple pictures. This piece is still looking the same 6 months after originally turning it. You can see the hollow center, which is not centered. I'm going to drill out that hollow and plug it with another peice of cholla, and re-turn it. Hopfully something good will happen.
It's 5' od, and 6" tall.... Jerry (in Tucson)177800177799