PDA

View Full Version : First Hand Plane?

Fred Hubert
01-10-2005, 2:22 PM
Been planning on building my first workbench, but reviewing plans revealed that I won't be able to flatten the top without a hand plane. I figure it was only a matter of time before I needed one anyway...

I don't have unlimited funds so the first place I'll look is an antique shop near me where I saw some old Stanley's. What should I look for and what types of plane(s) will I need?

TIA,
~ Fred

Roy Wall
01-10-2005, 2:32 PM
Well, of course you'll need more than one:cool: - its a serious addiction.......

For the Bench, probably a #5 jack plane, but a #7 is directly made for making wood flat!!!

The #5 has ranked #1 on the "one plane only" list for quite some time.

All this said, the really most useful plane may well be a Low Angle Block.

Fred Hubert
01-10-2005, 2:51 PM
Thanks, Roy. Bear with me, but what might I ask is a Low Angle Block?

Also, is there anything to watch out for when evaluating used planes, or better yet any online reference as to how to evaluate used planes for value? Of course I can and will check ebay, but without a visual in-person inspection it is difficult to assess the working condition.
And on the assumption that I don't turn up a used plane at the antique store and need to get something new, what is the best bang for the buck?

~ Fred

Roy Wall
01-10-2005, 3:14 PM
LA block is a small finishing hand plane....used to trim joints to fit, bevel edges, smooth end grain.....all around fit n finish plane...

Do you have a Woodcraft or similar store near you....go and look over all these planes, hold them and ask the salesman about all the types and what their specific uses are...

You're in for a great adventure ---hand planes will make you a better craftsman!!!

Look at lee valley or the Lie-nielson websites for a full set of stuff:p

Ed Hardin
01-10-2005, 3:43 PM
Fred, I am just starting in planes too and bought the 102 Lie-Neilson block plane and have had wonderful success. However, lie-neilson's dig in the pocket though they are worth every penny. I have looked at the Lee Valley low angle smoother and am considering it very hard. Enjoy learning about planes, I am.

Roy Wall
01-10-2005, 6:30 PM
Fred,

Check out "the handplane book" by Garrett Hack........Taunton Press from you local library - It's the Bible on the subject.

I would look for an old plane @ garage sale or flea market -- $10 is worth taking it apart, cleaning, sharpening, flattenng for your own education. Then you can better make a decision on future purchases....

Matthew Springer
01-10-2005, 6:58 PM
The two planes I use all the time are my LV Low Angle Block plane and my LN 5.5.

I then got a 4.5 and a 7. I also bought a scrub, but I think I'm going to get another 5.5 jack plane instead.