PDA

View Full Version : Wood Working Tools in the Kitchen?

Jim Koepke
01-12-2011, 4:01 PM
Poor Mr. Grace, he thought woodworkers would love his tool idea.

Seems the cooks like it better.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/12/dining/12united.html?src=me&ref=general

jtk

Eric DeSilva
01-12-2011, 4:14 PM
I was actually surprised when I saw microplane files in a woodworking magazine... I thought they had crossed over from the kitchen to the shop, not the other way around.

That said, I do use other "tools" in my kitchen... A spring loaded pair of needlenose pliers is the greatest tool I've found for removing pin bones from fish... And I keep a clean cheapo stanley 1.5" chisel up there for breaking up large amounts of coverture chocolate.

Jim Becker
01-12-2011, 4:45 PM
Yea, we have various sizes and shapes in the kitchen that rival those in my shop. Funny...this same conversation came up this week in the Horse forum I spend time yammering in, too. Folks there, outside of one moderator who is a woodworker, didn't know about the woodworking angle... :)

Kent A Bathurst
01-12-2011, 5:29 PM
Yea, we have various sizes and shapes in the kitchen that rival those in my shop. Funny...this same conversation came up this week in the Horse forum I spend time yammering in, too. Folks there, outside of one moderator who is a woodworker, didn't know about the woodworking angle... :)

I don't have any in the shop. SWMBO has a nice set in the kitchen. Got caught one day with my hand in that cookie jar, heading to the shop. Just a few more steps and I would have made it.

Jim - I can understand shaping wood with 'em. I have observed the manufacture of lemon peel zest with 'em. What I can't understand is what you do with one to a horse?????

Jim Koepke
01-12-2011, 5:57 PM
Jim - I can understand shaping wood with 'em. I have observed the manufacture of lemon peel zest with 'em. What I can't understand is what you do with one to a horse?????

Well, I know you meant the other Jim, but some of my nicer rasps are for working on horse's hooves.

jtk

Jim Becker
01-13-2011, 10:20 PM

LOL. The thread at the horse forum is also in OT and is about favorite kitchen tools. Nothing to do with horses in that context...

Michael Schneider
01-14-2011, 1:01 AM
I'm not fess'n up.....

.... however...... I """may"" have left the shop with a stack of steaks, perfectly flat on one side, and 3/4" thick. Just had to let them thaw out before cooking them.......

have to pick up one of these before the next cookout
http://www.holbren.com/home.php?cat=531

John Coloccia
01-14-2011, 3:57 AM
I'm not fess'n up.....

.... however...... I """may"" have left the shop with a stack of steaks, perfectly flat on one side, and 3/4" thick. Just had to let them thaw out before cooking them.......

have to pick up one of these before the next cookout
http://www.holbren.com/home.php?cat=531

I know what you mean. Tearout on marbled meat can be awful with straight knives.

David Nelson1
01-14-2011, 10:41 AM
Swiss steak attachment LOL

David Nelson1
01-14-2011, 10:47 AM
Jim K,

I'll have you know I had to clean my screen off when I read that title. Ijust walked in from the shop with an arm load of steak knife that I'm shaping the scales on and I have a few still clamped up on the dining room table. You sure you ain't got a camera peeking through my windows.:D