PDA

View Full Version : A different dust collection question

Roger Pozzi
01-12-2011, 3:42 PM
Does anyone have any experience with this unit http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21255 ?
Since downsizing from a 12'X22' shop with a Delta AP400 dust collector into an 8'X12' shop, I don't have room for the Delta.
This unit seems to have comparable CFM and is a lot smaller. I think I could fit it in a corner and possibly get by, what are your thoughts?
I have a table saw, router table, thickness planer, drill press, and RO sander. Naturally, everything has to be moved constantly and I am learning to line up a project better to enable use of 1 machine at a time.
Reviews at the Rockler site just sort of scare me, since they are either great, or terrible. No one is middle of the road with this one.
Thank you in advance.

Bill Huber
01-12-2011, 4:09 PM
Harbor Fright has about the same thing for half the price.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-hp-mini-dust-collector-94029.html

Neil Brooks
01-12-2011, 4:38 PM
My $0.02.

Smaller shop ?

Keep the Delta, and find another place to save space, if possible.

Smaller space -- for my money -- INCREASES the need for good dust collection.

Possible ??

glenn bradley
01-12-2011, 5:22 PM
+1 with Neil. Being crowded into a smaller place makes your DC more important. I have an AP-400 that I modified with a solid lower bag and an oversized American Fabric Filter top bag. This eliminated that fine dust the thing pumps all through the shop and increased its airflow as well. I would recommend against reducing your dust collection capability. I would cut a couple feet off my workbench before I'd tax my lungs. Your health isn't worth the risk.

Bruce Wrenn
01-12-2011, 9:35 PM
Rockler sells a replacement bag that will fit your AP-400. Item # 63624. It's 14" X 42" high, and just went up in price to $28.99, from $24.99. To extend your bag support, just get a 3/8" coupling nut and some threaded rod. You could take the AP-440, remove the base and using a couple brackets, wall mount it. Probably wouldn't have a much larger foot print that the Rockler unit.

Rick Potter
01-13-2011, 2:12 AM
I would recommend staying away from the red one from HF. It has a universal motor like a skil saw, and that makes it LOUD. HF also has a green one that is like the Rockler, but has an induction motor. That being said, I think Bruce has the right idea. You can modify the Delta to fit your space.

Rick Potter

Jerome Stanek
01-13-2011, 7:28 AM
Stay away from the red unit is right I tried it and it was as loud as my shopvac. I got the green one and it is a lot quieter. I have the 2 hp unit also and they both do a good job.