PDA

View Full Version : New Unisaw arrived today...unexpected!

John Shuk
01-10-2005, 2:21 PM
You'll have to excuse me but I'm a little high on Delta Blue/grey at the moment. I never knew cast iron was so beautiful. Thought I'd post promised pics of the Unisaw since it came today. I called Friday and when they answered the phone I was told it wasn't in yet and that I would get a call when it was. Today the phone rang and it was a delivery guy telling me he would be here in about an hour. Got here with the liftgate and backed up to the garage in she went NO problem. Now I have to get this baby to my basement via Bilco door. Looks like an appliance dolly is in my future and some cold beer and good cigars are in one of my friends futures. Did I mention that I am a happy camper? I also bought a Tenoning Jig and a zero clearance insert. The saw is equipped with the 50" Bies and I have a coupon for a free mobile base. Should I wait to put the saw together until I get the mobile base? Any guidance would be helpful. Also in the pic is my new 2 inch roughing gouge from Penn State Industries. Brown came today with that box and a Big Gulp dust hood for the lathe. The gouge is the Benjamin's Best brand and appear to be made by the same place the HF high speed tools are made. Not too shabby. I've seen tools that are nicer to handle but I will "tune" it up a little and put it to work. It is the BIGGEST roughing gouge on the market though. Had to have it! I hope this meets the guidelines for an OFFICIAL CERTAFIED AND BONAFIDE GLOAT!

Bob Aquino
01-10-2005, 2:27 PM
Congrats. Have had a unisaw for the last 4 years with that same fence. You will love it. Don't wait on the mobile base, it is not that hard to retrofit it. Enjoy.

Ted Shrader
01-10-2005, 2:45 PM
John -

CONGRATULATIONS on the new arrival(s). You will really enjoy having the saw - and the BIG gouge.

I recommend waiting to set the saw up until you get the mobile base. It will be easier to get it on the base without the wings and fence attached. (Although it can be done. - :) ) Once you put the fence on, you don't want to do too much heavy wrestling with it attached.

Congratulations,
Ted

dale rex
01-10-2005, 5:46 PM
congrats John.,I am still in the process of assembling mine.Got as far as the fence rails and ran into a little difficulty with holes not aligning. Dont know when I will work on it some more ,but I want to get the thing up and running. Let me know how easily your fence rails go on?

John Shuk
01-10-2005, 6:28 PM
Dale,
Looks like it's gonna be a while for me. I have a pretty bad path from the garage to the bilco with all the snow and am working alot. It's gonna be tough with that baby sitting in the garage every day while I walk by to go to work. I hope I don't have any trouble.

John Pollman
01-10-2005, 6:34 PM
Congratulations on the new saw !

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy. I can't believe it, I've found a site with a bunch of people that DROOL over tools the way I do. :D It's a sickness for sure, but a good one. ;) I have a feeling I'm gonna become a fixture here.

John

dale rex
01-10-2005, 7:45 PM
I thought I was was the only one with the sickness :D .You will like it here, there are alot of us:rolleyes: I have just been in my shop drooling over my new Unisaw. Gives me goosebumps. I have been waiting years for this saw!

dale rex
01-10-2005, 7:53 PM
John, I was just talking with Woodcraft where I purchased my saw, and they new alot about assembling these saws. The guy told me to massage (file) the holes bigger in the saw top to get the rail to go up higher. I was just down there and after a few minutes with a rat tail file....viola!:) it fits now.Holes were off about 1/16", thats all it took to make the fence work. So, when you go to mount your front rail, remember that what they tell you in the manual must be exactly 2 and 27/32", no more ,no less. Use the gauge they give you or use an accurate square set to that measurement. Let me know how you make out with it, I am curious. PM me or post for all to see.

Mark Singer
01-10-2005, 8:20 PM
John,

Thats a beauty and will serve you very well! Use it enjoy it....and keep safe!

John Shuk
01-11-2005, 1:06 AM
Mark,
You've got me thinking Board Buddies for sure and Grrippers as well. I don't need any new appendages like a piece of 4/4 oak sticking out of my belly.
John
Thanks for the heads up Dale.

Dave Moran
01-11-2005, 7:50 AM
Congrats John, You will not regret this purchase. I got mine about 5-6 years ago, and the wings were already attached upon delivery, and my switch was on on the other side, but looks much the same otherwise. My worse injury came from assembly, I had a big spring clamp holding something in alignment and it slipped off and clamped down on my thumb, blood everywhere, took 2 months for the black nail to grow out. It is easy to make your own zero clearance plates out of scrap, and I have a leveling trick I can share with you. Also if you get some aluminum angle it is quite easy to attach a home built outfeed table.

I feel your excitement.

Jim Becker
01-11-2005, 9:07 AM
Congratulations, John! I remember the smile on your face (and a similar, albeit different smile on your lovely's face....) right after you sealed the deal at the show... :D

You really want to build the saw on a mobile base from the start, so either bite the bullet and wait for the free one (Looooonnnnnnnnngggggggggg wait) or buy another and use the free one under a different tool later.

Dave Richards
01-11-2005, 1:10 PM
Nice gloat. I'm curious about one thing, though. Where'd you get that cool box knife in the first photo? :D

Doug Shepard
01-11-2005, 1:38 PM
Unless you want to splurge for more beer and cigars later, I'd wait to set it all up after it's on the mobile base. You could still move it downstairs. It will be a chore, but without the extra weight, you should be able to get it on the MB by yourself. While you're waiting for the MB to arrive, there's still things you can do. Like cleaning off the shipping gunk, hooking up the electrical, checking the blade to miter slot alignment, checking 45 deg. stop, etc.