PDA

View Full Version : Oval Skew

Tim Thiebaut
01-12-2011, 2:10 PM
I ordered an Oval Skew from Penn State last week and received it yesterday, I think it was only around $11 if I remember right, it wasnt very expensive at all. I have to say I really like this tool! I would say about %80 of the turning I have done has been with my 5/8 square Skew. I was down stairs doing a little turning this morning and the Oval one really makes beading very easy for me, so just wanted to say that I really like it and am glad I ordered it!

Jon McElwain
01-12-2011, 2:17 PM
I love true oval skews!

Vince Welch
01-12-2011, 11:04 PM
When I think of the Oval Skew I think of Nick Cook. Nick uses the Oval Skew extensively and hones a shine that you can see yourself in. If ever you get the chance watch Nick work with the Oval Skew!!!

Vince

Ken Fitzgerald
01-12-2011, 11:08 PM
I love skews and using them but the oval skew is one I haven't been able to master yet.

Greg Just
01-13-2011, 6:58 AM
I use the square skew all the time, but only after rounding over the bottom edge to prevent the corner from digging into the tool rest. Like Ken, I have never been able to use the oval version.

Steve Schlumpf
01-13-2011, 8:41 AM
I have an oval and use it only when absolutely necessary. I find I have more control using my traditional skew and am less likely to dig in. Course - I don't use skews very often and am sure that with practice the oval would work just fine.

Bernie Weishapl
01-13-2011, 11:30 AM
I am like Ken and love my skews all 7 of them. I have a big and small oval. I like them a lot.

Chris Stolicky
01-13-2011, 4:19 PM
That is what I use for pens. Both a 1/2" and a 3/4".

Tim Thiebaut
01-13-2011, 6:25 PM
Ken please dont misinterpret my OP, I love my flat skew and my new Oval skew, but I have by no means mastered them at all. Someone even commented on one of my posts a while back that it was odd I chose to learn the skew first as most people learn the bowl gouge first I think is what he said. For some reason I dont know why when I started turning the skew is just what I was drawn to, I guess I had no preconceived notions about it being hard to learn I just grabbed it and starting trying to get the hang of it...on the flip side put a bowl gouge in my hand and even though I have several including one very nice one I am more likely to get catches and not know the proper way to hold it, I still have a lot to learn about useing the bowl gouge!!! I guess we all start in different places, but right now I am off to use my new oval skew and make some shavings fly around the shop!

Neil Strong
01-13-2011, 7:59 PM
My oval skews are my favourite (positive rake) scrapers.