PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum cards with magnetic stripe

Sara Gould
01-12-2011, 12:38 PM
I'm looking for a source for anodized/coated aluminum cards that have a magnetic stripe that can be programmed for gift cards. I can't say that I've ever seen a metal card like this before, though there's a few Chinese manufacturers on Alibaba.com that say they can make them. I only need 20-30 right now though.

Dan Hintz
01-12-2011, 12:50 PM
It may be cheaper to create your own. Purchase some magnetic tape (and old reel-to-reel roll would work) and a card writer.

Robert Walters
01-12-2011, 1:07 PM
Maybe blank plastic cards with the mag strip and self-adhesive backed aluminum to adhere it to the card?

Adam Orton
01-12-2011, 2:48 PM
I do Aluminum biz cards all the time and they look awesome but have never tried for a mag strip. I get my cards and use the thin ones from Chewbarka.

Sara Gould
01-12-2011, 9:58 PM
I wouldn't know where to start making my own...

I like Chewbarka's cards, Frank suggested posting on the engravingetc forum (is he affiliated with that?) but I figured I'd start here.
I was thinking that laminating plastic and metal would be the easiest since the idea behind the plastic is that the magnetic strip can be melted to it neatly.

I was kind of surprised by the request to provide cards with mag stripes, but the engineer in me knew I'd end up researching it anyway out of curiosity, so said I'd look into it.

As I suspected, the company on Alibaba wants 500 minimum.

Robert Walters
01-13-2011, 12:02 AM
Just google "Magnetic Stripe Cards"