PDA

View Full Version : re-greasing a Magnum drill

David Wadstrup
01-12-2011, 10:51 AM
Hello,

I recently came across a brand new, never used, never opened Milwaukee 1/2" Magnum 75th Anniversary drill. It has sat untouched since 1998. It works perfectly. I was wondering if you feel like I should re-grease/re-lubricate it. When I opened the box the drill did have a coating of grease on the side that was facing down -- as if over the years of summertime heat the grease softened and succumbed to gravity. What do you think? I've never taken apart a drill before, and am afraid I'd invalidate my warrantee(I actually came with one!). Is it necessary? I'd like to keep this drill going forever, if possible.

Thanks for your advice,

David Wadstrup

Rick Pettit
01-12-2011, 11:08 AM
I've worked in construction/maintenance for a while and I have never seen anyone regrease a drill motor. No reason to as I can tell.

John Coloccia
01-12-2011, 11:42 AM
Why not give Milwaukee a call? I'm sure they'll be amused if nothing else.

Jason Roehl
01-14-2011, 7:12 AM
I've worked in construction/maintenance for a while and I have never seen anyone regrease a drill motor. No reason to as I can tell.

I have a 10-12 year old Milwaukee hammer drill that I bought reconditioned. The last time I used it, it was leaking HOT grease all over my hands. I suspect it probably got rained on at some point and the grease broke down. I'm sure it needs to be opened up, cleaned and re-greased. I just need a "round tuit"...

Chuck Saunders
01-14-2011, 11:30 AM
If you feel that a lot of grease has leaked out, then regrease. It is not a difficult task.

Tom Stenzel
01-14-2011, 7:28 PM
Milwaukee has a bunch of greases available with letter names. Go to the Milwaukee site and look up your model number (hint: include any leading zeros too). Whatever grease is appropriate for your drill will be listed on the parts list PDF.

Where I work we have downtime when we are expected to keep the tools ready for use. I know the 1/2" drill at work uses the "A" grease. The Sawzall uses uses both "A" and "B" greases. The nibbler uses "G" grease. All our Milwaukee tools are +25 years old and still work like new.

Your drill is most likely to use the "E" or the "A" grease. Just keep the grease away from the motor brushes and windings.

If you can't get the Milwaukee grease for whatever reason, the A grease is a yellowish color and looks very close to a NLGI #2.

-Tom Stenzel