PDA

View Full Version : Door Mounted Trash Can Pull Out

Mike Goetzke
01-12-2011, 9:34 AM
If you look around these easily run $100+. Anyone make their own?

Thanks,

Mike

Peter Quinn
01-12-2011, 9:42 AM
We use rev a shelf at work. No reason you couldn't make your own, but at $60/ hr shop rate we would be doing the customer an injustice making a custom trash shelf! I guess for the price of some ball bearing slides, or even undercounts if you want to get fancy, you could make a type of upside down drawer with a hole in the bottom shaped to the can of your choice easy enough. You need enough drawer depth to attach the door without racking. The nice thing about the rev a shelf hardware is you can adjust for inset doors, or slightly out of square conditions easily. With a plywood fixture of your own making adjustment is far more difficult.

Joe Angrisani
01-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Mike.... I just finished installing a door-mounted, pull-out trash can in our kitchen a few days ago. I'm not sure where you are shopping, but I got a kit with a roller bearing base frame, the trash container and the brackets to mount the door for about $45 at the Orange Borg. Installation was a breeze, and adjustment/alignment of the door was easy. I doubt I could have "made it myself" for much less. The HD near me had four different sizes of trash "cans" (some kits had two smaller trash cans - the one I used had a single 9 gallon can).

fRED mCnEILL
01-13-2011, 12:11 AM
I made a pull-out trash can drawer for our kitchen. Basically, it takes up the room of two drawers in a 3 drawer stack. I built the top drawer as a normal drawer but with two holes cut in the bottom to fit 2 lipped trash containers. Originally it was supposed to be one trash container and one compost container but my wife didn't like the compost stuff in the kitchen so both containers are now for trash. The drawer front is a single piece designed to look like separate drawers. Works like a charm. Wife loves it and from my point of view it was the BEST part of the kitchen reno. But then I'm easily pleased. LOL

Mark Rakestraw
01-13-2011, 5:23 AM
I make my own mainly because I don't want to use cheap slides. I make a box out of 1/2" birch ply about 1/2 the height of the opening. I mount it on softclose undermount slides just like all the other drawers. Depending on what the customer wants I sometimes make the opening full height and sometimes I make it shorter with a drawer over the top (like a normal base cab). The door mounts to the box just like a drawer front. The advantages are: 1. you maintain complete flexibility of the cabinet size. 2) the customer can get a trashcan that will fit nicely into the box and work well almost anyplace. 3) if executed carefully it looks more 'custom'. 4) The opening and closing 'feel' on the soft close slides makes it all worth while. That said, I haven't really looked for higher end roll-outs, maybe they're a lot nicer than the cheap ones I've seen.
Mark

Alan Bienlein
01-13-2011, 6:21 AM
Here is the one I just made for our kitchen I just finished building. It's notched to fit around the drain pipe so I could get maximum storage from it.

Mike Goetzke
01-13-2011, 8:29 AM
Thanks for all the input. Since I'm using the soft close throughout the rest of the kitchen might as well try making the trash pull-out too.

Mike