PDA

View Full Version : Advantages of a sliding glass back door

John Coloccia
01-12-2011, 8:05 AM
As a New Yorker by birth, I grew up thinking there's no advantage. It's easier for someone to break in and most of them have been sealed up years ago with metal bars. As a New Englander, I've discovered their utility as a means of exiting the house when you have 2' of snow on the ground and can't open your front screen door!

And it's still coming down HARD....

Rod Sheridan
01-12-2011, 8:34 AM
Once again you guys have the brunt of the storm.

We have about 4 cm of snow this morning in Toronto, far less than my American neighbours.

Have fun shovelling:D..........Regards, Rod.

Dave Anderson NH
01-12-2011, 12:02 PM
Not too bad up here is southern NH, only about 15" and the roads are well plowed. It is still snowing lightly though so we might get another inch or two.

John Coloccia
01-12-2011, 12:37 PM
I looking at about 2' on my back deck and it's still coming down hard. It was hillarious watching my dog go out this morning. He's a Samoyed and normally LOVES the snow, but he didn't have a clue how to handle snow that's taller than he is.

Lee Schierer
01-12-2011, 12:50 PM
52Years ago in SD we had to go next door and shovel out our neighbors because the snow had completely covered their out swinging entrance doors.

Roger Newby
01-12-2011, 12:52 PM
I looking at about 2' on my back deck and it's still coming down hard. It was hillarious watching my dog go out this morning. He's a Samoyed and normally LOVES the snow, but he didn't have a clue how to handle snow that's taller than he is.

Probably doesn't like his junk dragging in the snow......I know I wouldn't! Only about 8" of snow here but wind chill was -32 this morning. Hope you folks back east get along OK. This is the third slap for you.

Chris Kennedy
01-12-2011, 1:23 PM
We seem to have lucked out here in Virginia (at least this part). South of us got nailed with snow and ice and now north of us is getting hammered. We had some nasty icy drizzle yesterday and there were a couple of patches of ice this morning -- that's it. But it is cold.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-12-2011, 1:57 PM
John....the winter of '77, a coworker in Buffalo, New York got a service call for a CT scanner at one of his accounts there. The police came to his house, he removed the upper glass from the storm door.....crawled out onto the snow with his tool bag. The police gave him a ride to the hospital as all traffic except emergency vehicles were ordered off the street and his cars were snowed in anyway. When he got the machine running, the police gave him a ride home.

Eduard Nemirovsky
01-12-2011, 5:56 PM
Likely no snow around my house. Last night just a less then 1". I am wondering - may be it because I bought a good snowblower last summer?
Ed.

Connie Gill
01-12-2011, 9:00 PM
On the high desert of Idaho in the 80's we had tunnels to drive through - the plows would plow and there was no where else to go. My SO tells a story about going out on the desert to rescue a band of sheep and the herder with a 980 Cat loader. As they were following him back into the ranch the wind was blowing and miserable but he sees in front of him the tips of a pair of skis sticking up out of a deep drift...he stops and they dig under the skis - it is a car stranded in the drift with a young lady inside...her boyfriend had left to find help. Glen says it was a little scary for him - he was pushing snow with his bucket and if he hadn't seen the skis...

John Coloccia
01-12-2011, 10:34 PM
Well, it's finally stopped. The official tally in my area is about 30" and we set a record for snowfall in a 24 hour period, with drifts well over 4'. I have a plow on my ATV which was officially USELESS for this. It's the first time I've ever been stuck on that thing and just given up. I haven't seen this in one day in about 30 years when I was a young kid in grammer school back in New York (and couldn't get out my front door....which started this thread, in fact). We finally got our cars out, called around, and found a neighborhood bar that was open. We had a couple of beers, some dinner, and called it a night. Let me just say how much I really like our Subaru too. It was especially entertaining when the cop, in his Crown Vic, pulled out in front of us and was slipping and sliding all over the place. LOL. Poor guy. I like snow. I don't want anymore this year.

Brian Ross
01-12-2011, 11:28 PM
Am on holidays in LA and it was 74 today and expected to be in the 80's later in the week. Love southern California.

brian