PDA

View Full Version : Any info on these chisels?

RichMagnone
01-10-2005, 1:37 PM
After all that fun with the Buck Brother's chisels, I still need a set. Does anyone know anything about these? I know "Marples" is a name, but frankly, I was a power guy before coming over to Neander a few weeks back.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=294

Steve Wargo
01-10-2005, 1:55 PM
You could do much worse. I think that a lot of people start off with these chisels. Frank Klauzs uses them (or used to in his videos). They hold an edge much better than Sorby's. For the money they're hard to do wrong. I've seen people with sets of LN and Two Cherries, and the likes, that cut worse, because they were not sharpened. If you have the time to hone them and get them working properly then they should last you a good long time. In fact the only complaint that I've ever heard, and justifiably so, is the nasty plastic handles. From what I understand Irwin (Rubbermaid) hasn't changed the tool steel, or manufacturing process since aquiring it from Marples. If you're trying to buy a set on a budget, you may be better off piecing together a set of oldies, witherby, swan, buck bros (old ones) Greenslade. to name a few. The Older Stanleys seem to bring top $$$. On a side note, I used a set of newer short handled Craftsman chisels not too long ago and was very suprised at how well they took and held and edge. Just my $.02, but I did used to work at a local Woodcraft who sold a fair amount of these chisels, and also owned a set at one time. Hope this helps. No longer any affiliation with WoodCraft.

Peter Gavin
01-10-2005, 2:03 PM
I think Amazon has the same six piece set for 49.99 plus free shipping. I ordered them after I cancelled my Buck Bros. order this morning. See the Buck Bros thread for a picture. I can't figure out how to post it again.:(

Peter

Keith Christopher
01-10-2005, 3:17 PM
I have an older set of these chisels, they hold an edge well and can take a beating. They are worth the money. my other chisels are two cherries and as long as they're sharp and can stay that way, I don't care if the say LN (well maybe a little) or stanley. When I reach for a chisel it needs to be sharp. I can scary sharpen these Marples to shave arm hair so in my book, it would not me misspent money. only downside, I don't care much for the rounded striking ends.

Keith

Scott Behrens
01-11-2005, 10:31 AM
I read somewhere else that a the six piece bluechip set with a mallet can be found at Costco for $30.00. I can't verify this since I don't have a Costco membership.

Mark Singer
01-11-2005, 10:41 AM
I have an older set of these and they are very good. I think they are a great place to start...they are comfortable and can take a beating. Like all chisels in the hard woods need sharpening often...this is true of even the really expensive ones!

Bobby Hicks
01-11-2005, 11:58 AM
Scott,

I can confirm this. I have the exact set you mentioned. No nice wooden cas everything is in blister pack. Not a problem for me as I will be storing them in drawers.

I read somewhere else that a the six piece bluechip set with a mallet can be found at Costco for $30.00. I can't verify this since I don't have a Costco membership.

Karl Laustrup
01-11-2005, 12:01 PM
Those are the chisels I got recently from Woodcraft. I got the boxed set. Haven't had a chance to use them yet, though. Besides I figured I'd take them down to "Just outside of Spring Green" and give Spring a chance to use his MKII some more before I put them to the test.