PDA

View Full Version : Red Maple SW influenced HF

Michael James
01-11-2011, 10:30 PM
Wood courtesy of Jeff Nicol, 5" x 2 1/4". Walls are ~ 1/4 to 5/16 at the base, opening
1 1/8" Finish is shellac, BLO, more shellac and 3 coats of Formby's tung oil finish. I will buff it out in a few more days.
I really love the "seed pot" pottery forms, and have tried the ufo shapes, odd shapes, and this one is pretty much modeled after Steve S and the others that have refined this form so well. There is no doubt in my mind that this is my best piece, by following their lead. Thank you!
I chose the bottom by the cut and tapers on the bark side of the blank, but when all is turned and done, I would have loved to have that spalting on the top. Live and learn, I
guess. Comments, suggestions, etc welcome.
Michael

ps - having a wobble free chuck DOES seem to make a difference!

pps - looking at the photos, I will add a little oil under the collar so
you can't see the line.
177606 177605 177604177603

Steve Schlumpf
01-11-2011, 11:07 PM
Michael - actually, I like the way you have the grain oriented on this one. If you had the spalted on top - then you would miss out on the wonderful color contrast that is there!

Very nice form! Something about these always make me smile! On finishing - I always coat the inside of the form just to further protect the wood. You did a good job on the finish as well! Rich color and not too much gloss!

Looking forward to seeing your next one!

Michael James
01-11-2011, 11:13 PM
Michael - actually, I like the way you have the grain oriented on this one. If you had the spalted on top - then you would miss out on the wonderful color contrast that is there!

Very nice form! Something about these always make me smile! On finishing - I always coat the inside of the form just to further protect the wood. You did a good job on the finish as well! Rich color and not too much gloss!

Looking forward to seeing your next one!
Thanks, that means a lot. I will put some finish in there before I decree it done! I might even sign that one.

Steve Schlumpf
01-11-2011, 11:17 PM
I might even sign that one.

Hey - you turned it! Always sign your turnings! You may improve on what you turn but this marks where you are today! You are creating history - if nothing more than personal - but it there!

Have fun with it!

Ron Stadler
01-11-2011, 11:24 PM
You may be right about the spalting on the top, but what a beauty it is. I love it and hope to make one as well done as this.

Bernie Weishapl
01-11-2011, 11:37 PM
That is one nice HF. Hey it is a nice piece and agree the spalting on the top might have been better.

John Keeton
01-12-2011, 7:03 AM
MJ - some very nice work - but, of course, we had a sneak peek of this one in that thread about the chuck!! So, some of us knew you had a good one going.

Great job on the form. On the spalting, had you flipped it, the result may not have been what you think because of the different profiles of the top/bottom. Don't look back on this one, because it is a fine result! Great job on finishing off the bottom, as well.

Congrats!!!

Jeff Nicol
01-12-2011, 7:44 AM
Mj, You did the piece of spalted maple a wonderful thing and brought the inner beauty of it out and I like it just the way it is! The spalting on one side and the natural heartwood grain on the other with a little bit of wavy figure in it are wonderful contrasts! The finish is wonderful and like Steve says not to much gloss, I like the soft glow to let the wood do the talking and not the finish. I just cut up about 50 mor chunks of this beautiful wood so there will be more coming your way soon!

Great job my friend, and put your mark on them all,

Jeff

Dennis Ford
01-12-2011, 10:04 AM
Very nice HF, you did a great job on this.

steven carter
01-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Great job on this one. I like the spalting the way it is. The HF looks great and then when you pick it up and turn it over, bonus bottom!

Steve

Baxter Smith
01-12-2011, 1:13 PM
Very nice form and finish on this one. I like the half and half look on this one. From the picture angle you had, the spalting that is on the bottom wouldn't have been nearly as striking.

Jon Nuckles
01-12-2011, 4:09 PM
The wood and the form really complement each other. The bottom IS too beautiful to hide, but think of the look on the viewer's face when he or she picks it up and turns it over.

Roger Chandler
01-12-2011, 4:22 PM
Very nice hollow form, MJ!!! I like it, and think you did a good job on this. I can't hardly wait till I receive my Monster rig, so that I can get in on this hollow form mania........:D Keep 'em coming!

Dale Bright
01-12-2011, 4:25 PM
That is a very nice hollow form, Michael. The form is very nice and the wood is great. Very well done!

Dale

Cathy Schaewe
01-12-2011, 5:57 PM
Great job! I have Monster envy ...

Harry Robinette
01-12-2011, 8:21 PM
Michael
Beautiful turning you did it right as I see it. I love red maple but can't get any here in Ohio. Did two piece's at J C Campbell back a couple years ago.You made you choice good don't start to second guess yourself, you'll go crazy and never get anything done.
Harry

David E Keller
01-12-2011, 9:51 PM
That's a winner! I like the orientation, form, and finish. Great job.

Michael James
01-12-2011, 10:52 PM
Thanks everybody! I guess the lesson last week paid off. And having the chuck running true helped a lot....... cleaner faster. I've been instructed to keep turning a few of those until I can do it as easiy as falling off a bike. I need to start breaking out some larger pieces, but I didn't want to waste them until I thought I was ready.
Your kind words are encouraging. Oh and I shellaced the interior so thats all more better now!:p
Michael

Carol Kinney
01-13-2011, 7:43 AM
Michael,
I too love this form and now I have someone to follow :). I think the contrast on the top and with the spalting lines going up (as in your first photo) works great. The spalted line movement encourages the viewer’s eye to follow it to the top of the piece. This is one of the first things I was taught many years ago studying clay sculpture with my mentor Kyu Yamamoto – bring the viewer’s eye to the piece then keep it there with your lines and movement of the piece.

A definite winner - congratulations!