PDA

View Full Version : Only took a few stiches

Mike Peace
01-11-2011, 10:24 PM
I turned this 5" HF of Bradford Pear. Unfortunately it had a large crack I decided to patch with some gold colored wire I got from Michaels and turn into a feature. It had a few small cracks I was able to patch with sawdust and CA. I finished with Mahoney's Walnut Oil so it would have more of a satin finish than the shinier finish I get with my usual AO finish.

Comments and critique welcome. I know I need to work a little longer with power sanding.

Rob Vicelli
01-11-2011, 10:30 PM
Very nice! I am not a turner but can appreciate your work. Way to be creative.

Rob

Steve Vaughan
01-11-2011, 10:36 PM
That's very nice. And that was a good decision on the crack, looks really good like that.

John W Dixon
01-11-2011, 10:44 PM
Great idea! That is really cool. I love it.

John

Steve Schlumpf
01-11-2011, 11:11 PM
Mike - glad you weren't injured!!!

Interesting hollow form! I like the shape and actually think the sanding and stitches work well together! Gives it a worn/used look!

Jim Underwood
01-11-2011, 11:26 PM
Thought you'd had an accident... Glad you're ok.

I like the precision on those stitches.. you could be a surgeon...

Huh... well... at least it looked like it on the thumbnail....

Nice shape on this form.

Bernie Weishapl
01-11-2011, 11:34 PM
My first thought is you were hurt. So glad you weren't. Really a nice piece and the stitching really looks good.

Ron Stadler
01-11-2011, 11:36 PM
Nice work Doc, looks good.

John Keeton
01-12-2011, 6:55 AM
Mike, pretty good work - both on the turning and on the ER procedure! Having the pith dead center in the piece causes some problems, but kind of adds some interest.

Baxter Smith
01-12-2011, 1:31 PM
I was thinking the worst:), but was glad to see something else. The shape and less than perfect sanding made me think of an old baseball. If someone wanted to get creative with the stitching part, that might be a neat project! (I'm not that creative-or patient) Nice job!

Tim Thiebaut
01-12-2011, 2:05 PM
As most here have said when I read the title I thought oh god he hurt himself!! Glad your ok, and I love the vessel you made, and the stiches just seem to fit with this piece, I really like it!

Jon McElwain
01-12-2011, 3:31 PM
Next time you post with a title like that we expect gory pictures! Just kidding.:D I am working on a piece with a stitch up like that. Yours really add some interest!

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-12-2011, 3:49 PM
Mike, I am curious. Had you turned that bowl from green wood and dried it or was this a once turned HF. If it was twice turned, did the crack develop while the bowl was drying or was or in the wood before you began? I kind of think turnings with the pith left in the bowl need to be turned all at once and kind of thin to keep from cracking. I thought that answer might give us all a lesson from your experience. Meanwhile, well done and good fix.
faust

Kieran Kammerer
01-12-2011, 6:40 PM
Mike,
Very cool looking piece. I think as woodturners, we were way ahead of the medical field by using superglue to fix cracks/cuts in our pieces. I have only sewn myself up once! Got supplies from the office and did it at the kitchen table. For smaller cuts, I still prefer good old super glue. I definitely will have to try a piece like this. Kieran

Mike Peace
01-12-2011, 9:27 PM
Mike, I am curious. Had you turned that bowl from green wood and dried faust
Yes, turned green. My mistake was leaving the walls a little thicker around the center where the pith was. I new I should have worked harder for a uniform thickness but it all worked out. I generally have experienced very little cracking with Bradford Pear. I turned another one about the same time that was just a little smaller and had no cracking. The walls were a little more uniform.

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments.

David E Keller
01-12-2011, 9:29 PM
Nice work on the stitches. I love this look, and I hope to remember to give it a try next time I have something crack. Thanks for posting it.

Macy Martin
01-13-2011, 4:15 PM
WOW!! That is unique I like it, very creative. Glad it wasn't you. David