PDA

View Full Version : Carbide Ci1 cutters.....

Michael James
01-11-2011, 8:38 PM
OK, for another $28 + tax I added the easy wood tool square cutters - Ci1, and R4.
I had to grind a tiny bit to get the cutters to fit in the straight holder for the Jeff N hollower, and then ground both of them with a flat spot at the set screw to (hopefully) prevent twisting. Also took a little off the nose to make sure it was out of the way. Spacer washer also required due to larger diameter screw.

I will experiment on wood later this week, but I figure what the heck, I dont see how I can lose here. As John K pointed out in the other post, these will also go in the mini monster too!

John Keeton
01-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Besides being a remarkable guy on a fretboard, the man is a fabricator, too!!

Steve LaFara
01-12-2011, 12:24 AM
Curious what makes the EWT cutters better than others? There are a number of tool suppliers that offer similar styles for much less. Is it the quality of the carbide, a unique rake angle on the sides or ????

John Keeton
01-12-2011, 7:24 AM
Steve, I don't own any EWT tools, or any carbide tools except for the one with my Monster rig. But, from what I have read in various articles, the EWT cutters are not "repurposed" cutters as are commonly available. They are reported to have a different profile on the edge, and to be considerably sharper. However, I have no experience with them.

Don Nurmela
01-12-2011, 1:23 PM
I have the easy rougher from EWT and it is great until I hit a broken off screw from the faceplate and cracked the carbide. I happened to have extra cutters from my Grizzly spiral head planer and they are the same size 14x14x2 mm and fit perfectly. There are a whole variety of cutters available at Grizzly .....http://www.grizzly.com/products/searchresults.aspx?q=carbide%20inserts&new=1
Now that I looked more at Grizzly, what are the differences in the various carbides available? they range from $2.70/ea to $12/ea. Also what about using a boring bar for metal lathe as a hollower? anyone tried that?

James Combs
01-12-2011, 2:45 PM
Don't know what the differences are between the easy cutters and other brands but I do no they are sharp and stay sharp. I have the Easy Detailer along with the rougher and finisher. I have used the detailer to true up jaws on my nova chucks. The chucks run very true but sometimes the jaws don't. I have a set of small spigot jaws that were way off on a Nova G3. The detailer cut the outside diameter like I was turning wood and an appropriate size drill bit took care of the inside. My 2" jaws were also off a little on my SN2 and I was able to use the detailer to true both the outside and the inside of the jaws. After cutting and truing up the jaws I have used it on wood and can't tell that it has ever cut metal.

Harry Robinette
01-12-2011, 9:15 PM
Michael
I don't know for positive but was told the EWT tools the carbide is a much finer grain then the other cutters out there and the edge angle is unique.That's why E W T's
are under a patten pending.I have a small metal shop inside my wood shop and have tried some of the metal cutter and one of Grizzly's carbine cutters and they work BUT they don't work anywhere near as well IMO.
Harry

Ian James Webster
01-13-2011, 2:10 PM
When the orignal cutter on my Easy rougher expired I replaced it with a cheeper part. Personally I could not tell any difference in the cutting performance or longevity.

Ray Bell
01-13-2011, 2:37 PM
When the orignal cutter on my Easy rougher expired I replaced it with a cheeper part. Personally I could not tell any difference in the cutting performance or longevity.

Ian, where did you get the cheaper replacement?

Michael James
01-13-2011, 2:40 PM
Ian, where did you get the cheaper replacement?

Yes, at this point I dont know what the differences might be, just chose what I had locally. Also they looked adaptable to what I had.

Ray Bell
01-13-2011, 2:46 PM
You have a store locally that sell these?

Brian Tymchak
01-13-2011, 2:52 PM
I don't know for positive but was told the EWT tools the carbide is a much finer grain then the other cutters out there and the edge angle is unique.

I'm 98% sure Craig Jackson made this very statement at a demo I attended at Woodwerks in Gahanna, OH. Only 98% because I'm getting older and it was a couple months ago. I remember him also commenting that the way the cutter bedded into the tool provided much better support for the cutter compared to other similar tools. I haven't had an opportunity to use my EWTs yet, so I haven't replaced cutters or anything to allow me to offer more insight about that.

Michael James
01-13-2011, 3:25 PM
You have a store locally that sell these?

Yes we have a woodcraft and a woodworker's supply here in Abq.