PDA

View Full Version : natural edge part 2

Russell Eaton
01-11-2011, 4:22 PM
This is a natural edge bowl that I turned today. It is the best use of a Bradford Pear that I can think of. It is 8" wide and 4" tall. This is what I did today for a snow day. :DI did learn the hard way that the "wings" of the bowl hurt when you sand them. Enjoy, Russell

bob svoboda
01-11-2011, 4:25 PM
Very nice bowl and good job keeping the bark intact. What did you use for the finish?-I like it.

Russell Eaton
01-11-2011, 4:49 PM
Sorry Bob I should have said. It is Deft rattle can spray lacquer. Thanks for the comment. Russell

Harry Robinette
01-11-2011, 5:23 PM
Russell
Nice looking bowl,and we all remember the edges after raw knuckles.
Harry

Bill Hensley
01-11-2011, 6:09 PM
Nice job, the finish turned out good for a spray can.

David E Keller
01-11-2011, 9:51 PM
Great looking finish and nicely done on the bark! I'd give some thought to rounding under the base just a bit on a future form... It keeps the piece from looking a little bottom heavy. There's nothing wrong with it the way it is... Just a thought.

Steve Schlumpf
01-11-2011, 10:54 PM
Russell - looks like you made the most out of your snow day! Pretty bowl! I agree with David's suggestion of a slightly small foot area. Would give the bowl lift and enhance the outside curve.

Bernie Weishapl
01-11-2011, 11:42 PM
Looks like you made good use of a snow day. Really nice bowl. Like the form and finish.

Russell Eaton
01-12-2011, 7:09 AM
I will make the bottom smaller on the next one, I made this one for my wife to use as a candy bowl in the kitchen. I just was learning, I think I have a couple more of these bowl blanks in the man cave. They were all cut at the same time. I will try work today and will try another tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for the comments, Russell

Carol Kinney
01-12-2011, 8:44 AM
Great job on the natural edge, it's so hard to keep the bark on but you did a very nice job. Yeah I learned the hard way also with those wings - but it also seems like I learn the hard way with all of them (with wings or not). Great job on this one, make sure you post your next!