PDA

View Full Version : New forum by request

Aaron Koehl
01-11-2011, 3:25 PM
Several Contributors in the Lumber Yard have requested the creation of a Musical Instruments forum. There are many Creekers here who design, build, and repair musical instruments of all varieties, and we would like to encourage each of you to share your knowledge.

This is exciting for me, as I play several musical instruments, and I'm always impressed by what the folks here are able to produce. Just looking through the SawmillCreek Archive Pictures DVD vol. 1 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?132062-SawMill-Creek-File-Attachment-Archives-4Sale) (Feb 2003-Aug 2009) will astonish you.

Hey turners, do duck calls count as musical instruments? :rolleyes:

Well, here it is, let's see how it goes!

Dan Hintz
01-11-2011, 5:10 PM
Hey turners, do duck calls count as musical instruments? :rolleyes:
If they bring in the money, they do... 'cause money is music to my ears :D

Brian Kent
01-11-2011, 5:16 PM
Thank you for starting this forum. I have made a simple cajon drum for my daughter. Although I would like to try a guitar someday, I don't know that I actually could do that since I don't play a guitar.

Travis Stinson
01-11-2011, 7:18 PM
Thanks Aaron. I was pretty active here in the turner's forum a couple years back and have been spending the past year making guitars......this is nice!

Ryan Baker
01-11-2011, 9:00 PM
I'll be hanging around this forum too. If I ever get caught up pn a long list of other things, I need to get back to guitar building...

Michael James
01-11-2011, 11:10 PM
This could be quite interesting. I would imagine there's some CNC'rs cranking out some awesome electric guitars. I play, and at one time had started to get involved with lutherie, but alas...... life had other plans.
Thanks for opening this up!
mj

george wilson
01-11-2011, 11:38 PM
I've posted a few guitars here. So,I'll be checking in also.

Mike Cutler
01-12-2011, 7:13 AM
Thank you Aaron.
I like to follow the topics on making instruments. I'll probably never make a guitar, but the techniques are very useful to learn and apply to other facets of woodworking.

Any way to move the already established threads here? Some of them were very good. I'm thinking of the two threads that chronicled building a hollow body electric.

Ted Calver
01-12-2011, 10:28 AM
+1 on Mike's comments. There are some interesting drum building threads also.

John Coloccia
01-12-2011, 10:43 AM
I'm hoping we'll also see flutes, percussion of all kinds, dulcimers, hammered dulcimers, lutes, ouds, pianos and restorations, violins, concertinas, bag pipes, castanets, pipe organs (the wood gear guy has made those out of wood, I believe) etc. With almost 60,000 members, I'll bet there are members that cover all of the above, save perhaps the concertina (though I wouldn't be surprised).

In fact, hammered dulcimers are very easy to make. It might be fun for an experienced hammer dulcimer builder to do a group build like they did for the Morris chair. I would definitely sign up for that!

Keith Outten
01-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Help us out!

Any threads you would like to have moved to this forum post the links here in this thread and we can easily move them.