PDA

View Full Version : ULS Good news and bad news (sorta kinda)

Robert Walters
01-11-2011, 2:54 PM
I purchased my ULS M-300 30Watt used from a private party.

At the time, it had been in storage for about 2.5 years, and prior to that was used for about 4.5 years and only to engrave on anodized aluminum keychains.

So I bought a 7 year old system knowing that it would cost $1200 to get a replacement tube if needed.

Having only used a laser a few times prior, and not owning one, it's capabilities were subjective. Also at the time the seller had an old W98 setup to demo the laser, so our results at the time were very poor.

Prior to purchasing I called ULS Tech Support, gave them the Serial Number, asked if it had any service done, parts availability, asked tons of questions, updated drivers, updated firmware, can it do this, can it do that, got into more "above and beyond" typical questions (schematics, wiring diagrams, communication protocols, etc).

I gotta say this...

While I did have to justify my need for the "above and beyond" information, ULS Tech Support has just been awesome! Yes, ULS is more expensive than the other domestic laser engravers out there, but they were open and available for questions and issues that I had.
I never felt that I was given the "brush off" or that I was given a half-crapped answer.

I thought that since I'm not the original purchaser, I'd be treated like a redheaded step child. Not the case at all!!!

When I read on here that people have to PAY for support, or that tech support is closed for the holiday, I am just in shock.

Do they not realize that this is not a $30 blender we just bought, but a $15000+ piece of equipment that many lively hoods are dependent upon? Ad the Holiday season is when many are depending on their laser's to be fully operational the most and need tech support more than any other time?!?!?!

Ok, I'm off my soapbox for the moment.

Well, I was talking to tech support about an issue I'd been having. As part of the conversation it came back to my laser tubes power being a potential issue as we really didn't know if it's putting out 30W or slowing dying.

GOOD NEWS:

Then he told me that ULS offers FREE loaner laser power meters to their customers and just to call the service dept.

After hearing this I'm kinda in disbelief. Yeah, their gonna want a credit card deposit, some outrageous shipping and handling charge, etc.

Nope, just my laser's serial number and shipping address - that's it!!!

No charge to ship out, no credit card on file, just have to pay the return shipping charge, and get to use it for a couple of weeks. HOW COOL IS THAT!!!

It's a Synrad Power Wizard PW-250. I looked up the cost and it's like $850 to buy one.

BAD NEWS (sorta kinda)...

Well the bad news is that my 7 year old 30 Watt laser is putting out 30 Watts =(
Ug, ug, ug.... Need MORE POWER!!!

Now, when/if I need to replace the laser tube, I hope they only have 50W ($3500) available for the same $1200 cost, or that I get the worlds hottest 30 Watt tube =)

Just thought I'd share a little is all.

Dan Hintz
01-11-2011, 5:14 PM
ULS tubes are usually about 15-25% hotter than their advertised wattage...

Robert Walters
01-11-2011, 6:26 PM
ULS tubes are usually about 15-25% hotter than their advertised wattage...

Ah, good to know.

But I'd be hoping/dreaming for more like 150-250% hotter =)

Mike Lassiter
01-11-2011, 11:51 PM
My experience with ULS has been first rate. We purchased a very expensive machine, but I have exchanged emails with them, gotten quick responses, and overall extremely satisfied with my laser, the support, the people and would recommend ULS to anyone. While I can ONLY speak about ULS; I know others here would say the same for other laser manufacturers too.

I think something worth throwing out here is: a better product should cost more than a lesser one. Better support after the sale should be provided with a better product as those cost are a factor in the products cost. You don't have to best or most expensive tool to do a job, but often it makes doing that job easier, faster or more profitable.