PDA

View Full Version : Level Finish on Oak Doors

John TenEyck
01-11-2011, 1:53 PM
I'm making about 2 dozen frame and flat panel oak doors for a kitchen. I'd like to use GF's Hi Performance Poly, applied by spray as I've had great results with it on other projects. I made up a test door and drawer front, sanded to 150 grit, wiped on a coat of SealCoat Shellac, then sprayed 3 coats of the GF, scuff sanding with 325 grit between all coats. The finish is smooth, but it's not level. If actually seems less level than when I wipe or brush on solvent based poly. I'd like a more level finish, but don't like the idea of hand applying grain filler to 2 dozen doors. I like the pale look of the GF waterbased poly, and would like to keep the look if possible. What options can you recommend? Thanks.

Tim Sproul
01-11-2011, 3:58 PM
Spraying generally applies thinner coats compared to brushing. This could be why the pores aren't filled. It could also be the oak. Not all pieces of oak are going to be the same. Depending on the tree and the saw cut, pores are more or less pronounced. Or perhaps your precious projects were done with woods other than oak?

-----

"precious" should be "previous".

Chris Padilla
01-11-2011, 4:33 PM
In my mind, oak and level don't go together but "level is in the eye of the beholder", I say! :)

Spray more coats of the finish...or at least experiment with spraying more coats and see what you think.

John TenEyck
01-12-2011, 3:13 PM
Thanks for the comments so far. Yes, my previous projects were with closed pore woods - birch and maple. Three coats on them and the finish was perfect. Personally, I don't mind the surface I'm getting on the red oak, but am concerned that dirt, grease, etc. will get into the grainy areas. But in the end, my customer is after a smooth surface so that's what it has to be. I'm thinking the only way to get there is going to be to use a grain filler. Anyone have any recommendations on who's product is easy to use? Thanks again.

Tom Giacomo
01-13-2011, 11:21 PM
Rockler sells a filler called Crystalcoat, it is easy to use and drys clear so it does not interfer with your stain nor does it color the wood any.