PDA

View Full Version : Jig alignment is off

Kevin Baker
01-11-2011, 1:20 PM
I have a jig I created out of 1/8" acrylic, used to engrave wooden disc.. the jig is now off a little.. any trick of the trade before I create anyother jig??

Thanks,
Kevin

Robert Walters
01-11-2011, 1:54 PM
Um, pics would be nice to give us a better idea of the issue.

How can an acrylic jig "NOW" be off a little?
Are you talking thermal expansion/contraction?

Bill Cunningham
01-11-2011, 8:01 PM
Not sure how the table is set up on the versa, but if one of your rulers has moved, even a fraction, it will through a jig out a bit.. It's about the only thing that will, unless the table or positioning has another way of position registering your template/jig... Usually, something has physically moved in relation to the software template.

Mike Null
01-12-2011, 5:42 AM
It's possible the start point of your laser has changed. Can you check that with your red dot pointer?

There is no reason to suspect that the jig has changed.

Chris DeGerolamo
01-12-2011, 10:06 AM
How much is it off? I would double check you laser home position like Mike said.

Martin Boekers
01-12-2011, 10:22 AM
I don't know how your machine operates, with my Epilogs I do have issues somethimes that the vector and raster sections become out of line (not registered)
If you cut a vector slot to insert the piece to engrave, then now you go to raster it's possible (at least with the Epilog) that the registration is off.

With the Epilog typically it means that there is some build up in the x axis motor, so I take it out and take a pin to clear the build up out of the gearing.

Then life is good again!

Marty

Dee Gallo
01-12-2011, 10:40 AM
Did you flip the jig over? I know this is easy to do if you remove it and dust it off then replace it, so I've always written on it: what it's for, up/down/L/R, file name, etc.

Martin Boekers
01-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Did you flip the jig over? I know this is easy to do if you remove it and dust it off then replace it, so I've always written on it: what it's for, up/down/L/R, file name, etc.

It's amazing how we always forget to do the easiest check first!

Kevin Baker
01-12-2011, 3:52 PM
put a white sheet of paper in the laser, and in the Control software, when to focus view (uls.jpg) and you see where the laser pointer is (10005.jpg). Doesn't seem right.. but not sure...

Mike Null
01-12-2011, 4:49 PM
It appears that the laser head is out of position for some reason. It could be a sensor issue or it could be that something's loose. Now's the time to call ULS tech support.