PDA

View Full Version : You gotta be kidding me!

Mike Circo
01-11-2011, 10:53 AM
In the past 30 years, I've lived in three apartments, one townhouse, one old beat-up ranch house and my current home. Over those 30 years I have NEVER had a dishwasher leak in the kitchen..... Until 9 months after I just put in a wood floor !!!!!!!

You gotta be kidding me!

I lived on concrete slabs, with tile floors or vinyl that can take the water, or in places with somebody else responsible for the repairs. I've lived in places with beatup old dishwashers and bad plumbing, but Noooooo, those machines don't dump on the impermeable floors. The universe waits until I put in a wood floor to bust up a 7 year old dishwasher and turn my floor into an undulating mess.

Long story short.
Washer leaked between floating wood floor and the underlayment. It didn't leak into the basement, so I never saw it there and it never leaked above the floor to show up in the kitchen. Only after a few runs of the washer, did it reach critical point and warp the floor. Even then I couldn't believe that the fairly new washer was to blame. (flexible drain tube split)

I'll have to pull up a 10'x8' section of floor and replace it. (good thing it is still a stocked item, matching should be easy), and obviously replace the %^+<#! dishwasher.

What cosmic forces are out to get me I'll never know.

*** vent mode off ***

Mark Bolton
01-11-2011, 12:16 PM
I am not sure if it was the light corrugated drain hose that runs to the sink drain that split. This is why whenever we install a dishwasher on a job we toss that flimsy lightweight drain hose in the trash and replace it with the heavy rubber drain hose (buy by the foot or in a box). I have never felt comfortable trusting those flimsy plastic corrugated hoses and have no idea why they supply them with a new washer.

Mark

Mike Circo
01-11-2011, 12:56 PM
Mark,
You hit it on the head. That is exactly the hose that failed.
I'll try to see if I can find a better hose for the new one.
Good advice.

Mark Bolton
01-11-2011, 1:18 PM
Dishwasher discharge hose is available most everywhere by the foot. I would assume you can even buy it at the home center