PDA

View Full Version : Jointer crud

Tim Farrell
01-10-2005, 10:28 AM
I have a new Powermatic 54a jointer. Edging works great and I have already seen an improvement in my work quality.

When surfacing, I get a small line down the length of the board. It is easy enough to sand off, but I'd like to not have to deal with it.

I first thought there was a nick in the knife, but it is smooth to the touch.

Any ideas? Is it my technique?

Jim Barrett
01-10-2005, 10:32 AM
Is there a small piece of metal on the outfeed table somewhere sticking up?

Ted Shrader
01-10-2005, 10:33 AM
Tim -

Did you carefully check ALL the knives. A nick is about all that will leave the small raised ridge. There is a knife hone available to use on the knives in place that will, with a few passes, touch up the edge.

Ted

Tim Farrell
01-10-2005, 10:36 AM
Ted - I 'think' I checked all of the knives, but will check again. A hone sounds like a good idea anyway. I may stop by on the way home from work to see if I can grab one.

Jim - I did not check for a raise in the outfeed table. I'll check when I get home tonight. thanks for pointing me in a new direction.

Ted Shrader
01-10-2005, 10:40 AM
Tim -

Along the same lines, but does not necessarily apply in this case . . .

If there is a nick, you can move one knife sideways a little bit so the nicks don't line up.

Ted

Jeff Sudmeier
01-10-2005, 1:45 PM
Tim -

Along the same lines, but does not necessarily apply in this case . . .

If there is a nick, you can move one knife sideways a little bit so the nicks don't line up.

TedTim, just to expand in order for a raised "bead" (line) to show up as one continuous line on your finished board, the nick would have to be in the same spot, in all three knives.

As ted said, move one knife and it should dissapear, if it is indeed a knick in the blades.

It is something that you will want to resolve, because I have missed sanding this line in the past. It can be a major pita to sand out once the project is assembled! DAMHIKT