PDA

View Full Version : Fluorescent bulb and fixture recommendations

jim gossage
01-11-2011, 7:29 AM
I am building a 23 x 31' shop and am looking for bulb and fixture recommendations. I have found multiple posts on fixture layout, and plan to go with eight 8' tandems and five 4' fixtures - a total of 50 T8 bulbs. But I haven't seen much on the best fixtures and bulbs to buy.

Re the fixtures, I am considering the Lithonia brand at Home Depot, but am glad to consider others and spend more for better quality. Also, any recs on strip vs reflector vs covered fixtures?

Re the bulbs, I will buy several color types and see which I like best. But who makes the longest lasting and best value bulbs? Thanks much.

Jeffrey Makiel
01-11-2011, 7:46 AM
At one time, I would have said that Lithonia brand was good stuff. However, in my recent experience, Lithonia may have dumbed down the product for sale at Home Depot. So, I can't really comments. Sorry.

Cool white in 48" is the most economical bulb that is often available in economy packs of 24 bulbs. I don't think you can beat that. As far as preference in color, that's something in the eye of the beholder. :)

Jeff :)

Kent A Bathurst
01-11-2011, 8:30 AM
Lithonia has a wide variety of products, and grades/quality levels of products. The really good stuff doesn't make the shelves of the BORG [like many mfgrs/products].

I have a basement shop filled with these [and their 4' counterparts]. Electronic ballast. Dead-silent. Unheated basement [that never gets below 55* or so] so I got ones with cool temp capability.

Not at all cheap. Cry once. I would make the same decision again 7 years later. I got what I paid for.

Jim - if you ever drive down south to the big city, you are welcome to inspect in situ.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=3XY85&op=search&Ntt=3XY85&N=0&sst=subset

Ken Fitzgerald
01-11-2011, 8:37 AM
In the February 2002 FWW, IIRC, Creeker Jack Lindsey wrote an excellent article about shop lighting....specifially shop fluorescent lighting....the different types of fluorescents...the difference in types of ballasts...how to select a good quality ballast...how to design your lighting based on ceiling to work surface height....lighting placement...how to design your shop lighting taking into consideration your age....that's right...older folks need twice the light.

Lithonia like other lighting manufacturers makes several different grades of products. You can't just buy by brand recognition.

I bought and downloaded the article. Well worth the fee.

Everybody who has come into my shop compliments me on the lighting.

George Bregar
01-11-2011, 8:51 AM
My shop is your size and I have the exact combo you are describing. USed the affore mentioned Lindsey article as a guide...although it is someone dated now and IIRC didn't get too much into t8. I would also recommend it.

I bought the Lithonia fixtures from HD, two years so far so good. T8 have inherent cold start capability (unlike t12)...mine start at sub zero. I went with 5000K Sylvania with a 85 CRI. Not that pricey and I like them.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-11-2011, 9:13 AM
George....it's gets into T-8's and states that T-12's have a limited life span as they are going to be removed from the market.

George Bregar
01-11-2011, 9:15 AM
George....it's gets into T-8's and states that T-12's have a limited life span as they are going to be removed from the market. It's been awhile Ken...and I am slightly addled ;-)

Ken Fitzgerald
01-11-2011, 9:19 AM
Me too George.....so much so I'm retiring in 20 days from a company that has a strong presence in the Milwaukee area. February 1st I'll be retired from GE Health Care....(was GE Medical Systems) in your area.

George Bregar
01-11-2011, 9:29 AM
Me too George.....so much so I'm retiring in 20 days from a company that has a strong presence in the Milwaukee area. February 1st I'll be retired from GE Health Care....(was GE Medical Systems) in your area. Sure, off 94 in the burbs. I have a way to go but congrats Ken...20 days and then you can get to work! ;-)

Chris Padilla
01-11-2011, 4:23 PM
I've had the HD Lithonia brand T-8s in my garage for about 3 years and only one bulb has died out of ~30 bulbs. I even replaced what I had in the kitchen (large soffet) with the very same thing. T-8s offer no buzzing, bright light, instant on and long lasting bulbs.

I would caution against 8' bulbs unless you are sure to have a helper on hand all the time: they are just tough to deal with alone. 4 footers are cake alone.

Chris Ricker
01-11-2011, 4:44 PM
The HD Lithonia fixtures also have a pull chain so you can turn off the ones in the area you're not working in.
FWIW
CR

Ken Fitzgerald
01-11-2011, 4:51 PM
Lithonia makes many models and types of fixtures. They make more than one grade. Generally speaking, you will get what you pay for.

jim gossage
01-11-2011, 6:28 PM
In the February 2002 FWW, IIRC, Creeker Jack Lindsey wrote and excellent article about shop lighting....specifially shop fluorescent lighting....the different types of fluorescents...the difference in types of ballasts...how to select a good quality ballast...how to design your lighting based on ceiling to work surface height....lighting placement...how to design your shop lighting taking into consideration your age....that's right...older folks need twice the light.

Lithonia like other lighting manufacturers makes several different grades of products. You can't just buy by brand recognition

Thanks. I found his article especially helpful and used it for designing the fixture layout and my preference for T8 and elec ballasts. Not much discussion of specific brand fixtures to use, though. For those who liked the Lithonia, any recommendation on the model? Do people recommend covering the lamps or just leaving them open? Covering seems cleaner but I guess could reduce light output slightly, and makes changing bulbs a PITA. Thanks guys.

George Bregar
01-11-2011, 6:31 PM
Thanks. I found his article especially helpful and used it for designing the fixture layout and my preference for T8 and elec ballasts. Not much discussion of specific brand fixtures to use, though. For those who liked the Lithonia, any recommendation on the model? Do people recommend covering the lamps or just leaving them open? Covering seems cleaner but I guess could reduce light output slightly, and makes changing bulbs a PITA. Thanks guys. I'm not sure what people recommend but I just have them open. Dust will get in there and it makes them not only harder to change, but harder to clean. As far as what model...whatever HD has. 4 bulb 8' fixture was $32 IIRC.

William Long
01-11-2011, 7:33 PM
I went with commercial grade 4 bulb T8 from a local home center and GE F32T SPK35-ECO (3500k) lights from Grainger (not cheap).

Ken Fitzgerald
01-11-2011, 8:29 PM
Jim,

I used lithonia. I don't remember the model # but I can tell you it wasn't the cheapest and it wasn't the most expensive. I used Jack's article and selected a model that had a good electronic ballast in it. IIRC for I paid about $38 a fixture for them.

I have a plain open 4 bulb 8' T-8 fixture. I connected them end to end so all the wiring is internal to the fixtures in each row. At the end of each of the 4 rows is an outlet and a cord plugs into the outlet and runs to the first firxture in that row. Each outlet has it's own switch. With 4 rows..and 4 switches I can turn on/off 25% of the lights as I need it.

I have a friend who used that article and picked up his fixtures at a local electrical supply place. He paid about the same as I did but got a higher grade commercial fixture and is tickled with the outcome.

Jim O'Dell
01-11-2011, 9:21 PM
I also have the HD Lithonia units in both sizes. I had one that interfered with my radio, but changed the ballast out under warranty and problem went away. I use these bulbs I ordered online....http://www.businesslights.com/ushio-32w-3000k-86-cri-t8-fluorescent-lamp-case-25-p-434.html I really like them. I ended up needing one bulb to get the latest 8' 4 bulb unit up and going and so got some Sylvania from HD, and I think it is the 95 CRI. I don't like it at all. Too blue. The above worked out to about $65.00 with shipping for 25 bulbs. Made in Germany. Couldn't be happier. Jim.

edit. shipping has gone up. 76.42 shipped to my zip now. Still 3.06 each for a really nice bulb.

Leo Graywacz
01-11-2011, 9:31 PM
How tall are your ceilings? It they are 15' (or taller) then these might do the trick. Full spectrum lights, T5 54watt HO, 5900K 93+ CRI. Bright and make the colors look like outdoors. I have two of the 6 tube fixtures. I also have 6 of the HD Lithonia w/the pull chain and 5000K bulbs.

http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com/commercial_lighting_fixtures_35_ctg.htm

jim gossage
01-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Thanks guys, those are some useful suggestions. My ceilings are 9'6". One of the articles by Lindsey or Judge recommended using a plastic cover to increase bulb life. Has anyone used those and found them helpful?

Robert Malone
01-12-2011, 7:44 AM
Jim, my Stepson, east of you in North,SC, builted a 24X28X10 shop and wanted to put up fluorescent fixtures.
We both did some research on watts, color, and price. He installed 3-rows of 100watt CFL's in cheap boxes with cheap fixtures on 3 switches
from Lowes and has been very happy.
I don't like transporting 8' blubs.

George Bregar
01-12-2011, 8:49 AM
Thanks guys, those are some useful suggestions. My ceilings are 9'6". One of the articles by Lindsey or Judge recommended using a plastic cover to increase bulb life. Has anyone used those and found them helpful? If you are referring to the plastic tubes they certainly help extend life to any bulb that you would hit with a board, but they do get dust in them that cuts down on light output. They also make changing bulbs a little tougher.

David Giles
01-12-2011, 9:39 AM
Bubbabulbs (yes, really), an internet lighting store, sold me 32 Phillips T8 bulbs with a 98 CRI. They have lasted over 5 years with one failure. The high CRI makes the light very close to daylight. Tough to explain, but it "feels" good to work in this light. The downside is that hummingbirds occasionally fly in the shop, buzz the lights and won't leave until they are turned off.

Chris Padilla
01-12-2011, 12:00 PM
I have my bulbs uncovered and open to the shop but half my shop has a 12' vaulted ceiling.

I mixed color temps. I think at the time, HD had 3 or 4 temps and I bought roughly equal numbers of them all and mixed them in the fixtures. Works for me.

jim gossage
01-13-2011, 5:09 AM
Bubbabulbs (yes, really), an internet lighting store, sold me 32 Phillips T8 bulbs with a 98 CRI. They have lasted over 5 years with one failure. The high CRI makes the light very close to daylight. Tough to explain, but it "feels" good to work in this light. The downside is that hummingbirds occasionally fly in the shop, buzz the lights and won't leave until they are turned off.

Bubbabulbs - I like that! They should go well in a South Carolina shop! I'll try to post some pics and reviews in a couple of months when the shop is done. Thanks for the recs.