PDA

View Full Version : Web Page Menu Trouble

David Freed
01-11-2011, 5:32 AM
I am trying to make a drop down menu for my new web site. I have one friend with Windows XP using IE7 that says it won't work. If any one is using a browser OTHER THAN IE8, FF 3.6.13, Crome 0.0.0.0, Opera 11.0.1156.0, or Safari 5.33.19.4, Could you look at this and tell me if the drop down part works. I don't have the pages linked to it yet, so clicking on it doesn't do anything. Here is the page - amishleatherandwood.com/Test10.html

Here is what it should look like when you run your mouse over it.

Chuck Wintle
01-11-2011, 9:45 AM
Yes it works in my browser.

David Freed
01-11-2011, 3:40 PM
Yes it works in my browser.
What browser and which version are you using?

fred marcuson
01-11-2011, 4:21 PM
ok , firefox 3.6.13
all works but the woodproducts drop down is covered up by the doors and windows on one line.

if the whole drop down menu was one line not 2 it would work fine

Chuck Wintle
01-11-2011, 4:53 PM
Firefox version 3.6.13

Bill Cunningham
01-11-2011, 8:26 PM
If it don't work in I.E., it's I.E's fault.. I.E. is not code compliant software. M.S. thinks that their so big, everyone will just use what they tell them to.. Firefox has now passed I.E. in Europe, expect the same thing here. If it won't work in I.E., the smart thing to do is dump I.E. and put a note at the top of your page that says 'this site is designed to work best with FireFox 3.x.xx or better' There are plenty of sites out there, that out of ignorance of the web designer, simply won't work right without using I.E. 'Those' web'masters(?) should be brought up to speed with a polite email..

Jim Becker
01-11-2011, 9:08 PM
Works in Chrome (MacOS 10.6.6) but as you can see, the "Doors and Windows" is under "Home" and the whole thing is off to the right.

David Freed
01-12-2011, 9:47 PM
I really appreciate the help. I was afraid this is what I was going to hear. I think I am going to go a different route after seeing some of the problems you have pointed out. I am using Firefox version 3.6.13 as my primary browser and it is one line on my computer. If I fix it for some browsers, it doesn't work right in others. I would need to put a note on the page as Bill suggested and I don't really want to do that. Potential customers could easily be chased off if they have problems. There are still a lot of people that think their browser is the computer and their operating system is electricity. I'm not too far past that stage myself. Thanks again for taking the time to help.

Matt Meiser
01-12-2011, 10:08 PM
If I fix it for some browsers, it doesn't work right in others.

Welcome to the world of web development! So glad I do corporate apps where IT generally demands a single browser as the corporate standard.