PDA

View Full Version : To all you Oregon Fans....two words!

Larry Bratton
01-11-2011, 12:20 AM
War Eagle! 22-19 Auburn...WE DA CHAMPS!!!

Belinda Barfield
01-11-2011, 6:51 AM
Go SEC!!!!

Larry Bratton
01-11-2011, 9:52 AM
Belinda, the SEC is winning it's share of National Championships for sure. I am a born and bred Auburn fan, having attended that fine institution. You know, in Alabama, you have either Auburn or Alabama assigned to you at birth!
Hehehe..lack of comments from Oregon is expected. However, it was a very interesting game.

Curt Harms
01-11-2011, 9:57 AM
I heard somewhere that next year's national championship game was going to be next January at the University of Minnesota's outdoor stadium. Real football weather. i Wonder how the SEC will fare? ;)

Belinda Barfield
01-11-2011, 9:59 AM
I heard somewhere that next year's national championship game was going to be at the University of Minnesota's outdoor stadium. Real football weather. i Wonder how the SEC will fare in that? ;)

About the same way those Minnesota boys would fare playing the first game of the season in Georgia.:D

Larry, I'm not an Auburn fan but I'm an SEC fan against any other conference. One of my best friends is an Auburn fan so on any given Saturday we're watching GA and Auburn together. He is one happy War Eagle right now!

Larry Bratton
01-11-2011, 6:28 PM
I heard somewhere that next year's national championship game was going to be next January at the University of Minnesota's outdoor stadium. Real football weather. i Wonder how the SEC will fare? ;)

Yeahhhh...it was just too HOT in Phoenix for those guys from Oregon! Ya think?

Larry Bratton
01-11-2011, 6:38 PM
About the same way those Minnesota boys would fare playing the first game of the season in Georgia.:D

Larry, I'm not an Auburn fan but I'm an SEC fan against any other conference. One of my best friends is an Auburn fan so on any given Saturday we're watching GA and Auburn together. He is one happy War Eagle right now!

Well, I have to admit it was pretty remarkable. They had some really talented players and coaching. Cam Newton is unbelievable. I read this afternoon though that he may have suffered a back injury in the last minutes of the game that could hamper his future. That would really be sad.

Bill Cunningham
01-11-2011, 8:29 PM
War Eagle! 22-19 Auburn...WE DA CHAMPS!!!

Two words?
I assume the 'other' team can count?:D

Greg Peterson
01-11-2011, 11:45 PM
Bill - I was trying to figure out which two words he was referring to.

It was a good game and both teams had outstanding seasons, Auburn had a slightly better season. Congrats to Auburn.

Belinda Barfield
01-12-2011, 6:48 AM
Two words?
I assume the 'other' team can count?:D

I hope they can count. They need something going for them since the person in charge of the uniforms has absolutely no fashion sense. I didn't realize you can get socks that yellow.:D

Curt Harms
01-12-2011, 9:15 AM
Nah, was just wonder how the SEC speedballers would make out on a frozen field with windchills rivaling liquid nitrogen :D.

Jerome Hanby
01-12-2011, 11:01 AM
[QUOTE=Greg Peterson;1607807It was a good game and both teams had outstanding seasons, Auburn had a slightly better season. Congrats to Auburn.[/QUOTE]

Ugggh, I didn't think it was a good game at all. Both sides looked inept. There was some good goal line play, but the rest...

Might be a good argument for a playoff. If that game was an indicator, neither would have been in the final game.

Bryan Slimp
01-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Best championship money can buy.

Cam: "Hey Dad where did you get that new Lexus?"
Dad: "No where - oh, and you're going to Auburn."

Greg Peterson
01-12-2011, 3:23 PM
Best championship money can buy.

Cam: "Hey Dad where did you get that new Lexus?"
Dad: "No where - oh, and you're going to Auburn."

The NCAA did not find any evidence that Newton's dad did anything wrong. Yup.

As for the Duck uniforms, doesn't matter what adults think about them. The 16-17 year old kids in HS are the ones that have to be impressed. I've given up on trying to get a handle on the fashion sense of any generation, let alone youth of this nation. I keep to solid (no patterns), earth toned shirts and trousers/jeans. Figure it's pretty hard to get into any kind of fashion faux pas.

Both defenses played great. I thought I was going to see a high scoring game, but it turned into something unexpected. The best team won. I am satisfied with the Ducks effort, and especially the humility with which they have carried themselves all season. In this regard they are by far the best team.

The SEC may produce championship caliber teams, but you would never know it to listen to the average SEC fan. ;)

David Weaver
01-12-2011, 4:00 PM
Well, I have to admit it was pretty remarkable. They had some really talented players and coaching. Cam Newton is unbelievable. I read this afternoon though that he may have suffered a back injury in the last minutes of the game that could hamper his future. That would really be sad.

I don't want to put too much of a damper on this discussion, but i think his career in the nfl will be short, anyway, as it will be for his mirror image, Terelle Pryor. there will be guys playing linebacker who can run with him in the NFL, it won't be like college where you can get away on your athleticism.

These days, though, you can get a big enough signing bonus as a high draft pick to make it not matter whether or not you pan out.

It'll be interesting to see if he proves me wrong, but that's my call on the situation after watching guys like vince young fizzle.

David Weaver
01-12-2011, 4:04 PM

Well, or nothing that was "against the rules", but they did scramble right away to see if they should change the rules.

He should be known as Cam the Pro-Am Newton (play with the amateurs and try to get paid like the pros)

I can't be a big fan of a kid who supposedly got in trouble in college at florida for repeated academic violations of the copying kind.

where I went to school, the coach held the football team to a higher standard than the rest of the students were held to. The ones in my classes showed up and did their work, even the ones who ended up in the NFL.

Jerome Hanby
01-12-2011, 4:54 PM

The SEC may produce championship caliber teams, but you would never know it to listen to the average SEC fan. ;)

I think the NCAA found exactly the same wrongdoing that they found with Reggie Bush's dad. Since there was no way to possibly do an adequate investigation in a timely manner, they handled things in exactly the correct way, let them play. They can always vacate wins if they find some real dirt, but they could never correct the damage suspending the player would cause if he turned out innocent of infractions.

And I think you're judging what SEC fans say about SEC teams. We have high expectations and we don't accept excuses. If we had time to get around to talking about conference xxx ...well the nicest comment would probably be that Vanderbilt could run the table if they were in conference xxx :p I can't speak for other SEC fans (if there are such things), but I'm always for my team and anyone playing Tennessee or Auburn. In other circumstances, I'm all for the SEC team...sometimes :rolleyes:

Kent A Bathurst
01-12-2011, 5:24 PM
........ there will be guys playing linebacker who can run with him in the NFL, it won't be like college where you can get away on your athleticism....

Maybe he just needs the Mike Vick/Ron Mexico approach - a couple years in the big house [no - not The Big House] to mature. Mike/Ron seems to be adapting reasonably well with the Iggles.

Don't start on me - undergrad Hokie and ATL resident - I'm allowed to dis my own guy. :p

Bryan Slimp
01-13-2011, 10:09 AM
And I think you're judging what SEC fans say about SEC teams. We have high expectations and we don't accept excuses.

And your players accept payments.

Belinda Barfield
01-13-2011, 10:26 AM
And your players accept payments.

I'm not in a position to judge whether or not Cam Newton got into Auburn based on his father's efforts. I'll let those who govern such things decide. I would like clarification though, Bryan, on your comment. Are you implying that only SEC players accept gifts or payments to play? Are you sure no Cornhusker's father ever made a large contribution to Nebraska so his son could play football? I don't believe the SEC is the only conference where deals are made for good players. Almuni "loaning" cars to players, apartments free of charge . . . Payment comes in a lot of forms and it is rampant in every conference.

David Weaver
01-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Maybe he just needs the Mike Vick/Ron Mexico approach - a couple years in the big house [no - not The Big House] to mature. Mike/Ron seems to be adapting reasonably well with the Iggles.

Don't start on me - undergrad Hokie and ATL resident - I'm allowed to dis my own guy. :p

I think vick has more talent, and even if he ran more in college, he threw a better ball back then. He really throws as nice of a ball as I think I've seen anywhere, and as far and hard as anyone anywhere can throw, with accuracy.

He found out this season that even limited running will get you hit hard.

I don't think cam has had to learn to rely on his throwing arm yet, he can run out of a pinch. In the NFL, that'll get you on the injury list no matter how big you are. He'll also have to deal with having a team that isn't better than the opposing team, too. If he's lucky enough to land on a team with a good running game and a good defense, that'll extend his stay.

Bryan Slimp
01-13-2011, 12:42 PM
I don't think it's an issue with just Auburn (Newton) or Nebraska or the Big 12 or the ACC or the Pac 10/12 (Reggie Bush).

I think it's a bigger an issue with college football in general. A kid can't make any money for selling "free gifts" given to him from a bowl, but a university can make millions of dollars selling the same kid's jersey.

People can say that the athelete is getting a "free" education, but the economics of it seem to be tilted to one side more than the other.

The other problem seems to be that a coach (Pete Carroll) can skip town, the players at issue (Reggie Bush) can go to the NFL and make serious money, and the current players and coaches are punished.

Larry Bratton
01-13-2011, 5:10 PM
Ahem .. "War Eagle" were the two words. Excuse me for being so nubulous

Larry Bratton
01-13-2011, 5:14 PM
I hope they can count. They need something going for them since the person in charge of the uniforms has absolutely no fashion sense. I didn't realize you can get socks that yellow.:D
Hahaha..no truer words were ever spoken. I could not believe those socks! I kept trying to figure out who was Donald, Huey, Dewey, or Louie :)

Larry Bratton
01-13-2011, 5:41 PM
Well I'm pretty sure Cam does not control what his father does or does not do. It does not change his ability in the least. Nor does it change the ability of the rest of the players on that fine team. Cam Newton, is, in my opinion a fine quarterback, but he is also a leader and has the ability to motivate others in a team effort. Coach Chizek impresses that it was not just one player but a team effort! So, to say that Auburn's success was somehow based on a player's parents actions is absolutely ridiculous. Again, I will say my two words "WAR EAGLE".