PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Tundra

Dave Lehnert
01-11-2011, 12:18 AM
Like to hear from owners of the Toyota Tundra. The good, the bad and the ugly.
Just kinda in the research stage of looking at new trucks. I now own a 1997 F-150 Love the truck. Had to replace the engine at 74K:eek:. Just like to drive something different.

Interested in what engine size you have and what kinda gas mileage they get.

What about the rusted frame issue, Is this no longer a problem?

Andy Haney
01-11-2011, 8:02 AM
I have an '05 Tundra (last/smaller body style) with over 60K miles. The only thing I've done is change the oil. It has a V8 (4.7L I think) and gets in the neghborhood of 20 mpg hwy at speed limit. Don't know anything of a rusted frame issue. I'll watch this thread to learn more.

Andy

Eduard Nemirovsky
01-11-2011, 8:48 AM
Just give to my son my 2006 Tundra Limited and bought 2010 Tundra Limited. I loves this car. Milage on my old with 5.7 L engine were about 12-14 in the city, new one around 15 with same engine. Never have any problem. New one little bit bigger body with smaller turn radius. Very soft, smooth driving. I have nothing at all to complain about. One of my friend after driving my new car - replaced his F-150 to Toyota Tundra.

Ed.

bob svoboda
01-11-2011, 9:20 AM
I have an 07 Tundra with the 4.7l V8. I get about 14/19 but can push it up to 20 by keeping it <60. IIRC the frame rust issue was resolved a few years ago. I have had this truck for almost 4 years, 48K and plan to drive it until it won't go any more. Much more comfortable than the 2 F-150's I owned previously.

Rod Torgeson
01-11-2011, 10:53 AM
Dave ..... I had an 05 Tundra Limited, all the bells and whistles with leather seats. Very nice truck. However I could not find the right adjustment in the seat that I was comfortable with. I drive down to California to see my daughter and family and it was just uncomfortable. So I traded it in on a new Dodge Ram(2008) 5.7 liter and am very happy with it. I have made two trips back to Missouri(5000 miles round trip) and get respectable gas mileage. Sometimes around 20 MPG. First thing I did when I got the Dodge was to have dual exhaust put on. I think that has helped. Its a little loud sometimes when I pull my camping trailer and I'm going uphill. But it works for me. Now the newer Tundras may have more comfortable seats.

Rod<---in Appleton, WA

Jim McFarland
01-11-2011, 11:05 AM
I have a 2001 Tundra with (IIRC) the 4.7L V8 and get 15 MPG in town and no better than 18 MPG on the road. Overall, great truck and no regrets during the 120K+ miles driven. I do have a big problem now though -- O2 sensor has failed and according to the dealer -- unable to remove the O2 sensor from the exhaust manifold so repair estimate is $1600 to replace both the exhaust manifold and the O2 sensor. $300 sensor replacement actually costing $1600 is a bummer. I've read I may be able to saturate with pentrating oil and free it but haven't tried it yet.

Archie Hendrick
01-11-2011, 11:13 AM
I have a 2003 with a 4.7L v-8. I get about 16 mpg - about 80% of my driving is county or state roads. I have 108K on it and it still is a very nice ride. It's pretty dinged up 'cause it's my grouse hunting vehicle. The only things I don't like about it are the big turning circle and the 6 foot bed. I really miss the 8 footer I had on my F-150. It also took me a while to learn how to drive an automatic transmission - never had one before this truck.

Again, a nice comfortable ride for me (I'm 5'-10' and ~200lbs)

Archie

Trevor Howard
01-11-2011, 11:49 AM
I have a 2001 Tundra with (IIRC) the 4.7L V8 and get 15 MPG in town and no better than 18 MPG on the road. Overall, great truck and no regrets during the 120K+ miles driven. I do have a big problem now though -- O2 sensor has failed and according to the dealer -- unable to remove the O2 sensor from the exhaust manifold so repair estimate is $1600 to replace both the exhaust manifold and the O2 sensor. $300 sensor replacement actually costing $1600 is a bummer. I've read I may be able to saturate with pentrating oil and free it but haven't tried it yet.

Sounds like we have a similar truck. I have a 2000 5.7(i think) V8, with 175K+ on it, O2 sensor has been on for about a year. One problem I was told is there is 3 sensors, and a dealer would have to check which one. I just have ignored the "check" engine light. Only maintenance I have done is oil/filter change, it has had one set of spark plugs. I now have the valves making a louder tapping noise and I am looking into if they need to be adjusted.
Overall it's been a great truck and when she dies, I would look at another.

Chuck Nickerson
01-11-2011, 12:19 PM
I have the 2005 Tundra with the V6 (I don't tow anything). I seem to get 22 city/25 hwy. I've got 80k miles on it and am quite happy.

The one gotcha is the Tundra has a gross turning radius. Consumers Report warned about it, and they were right.

Andy Pogue
01-11-2011, 12:31 PM
I have an 05 and love it. about the same milage as everyone else, mostly depends on speed. turning radius is terrible, but that is the only downside. will drive it untill it won't go

Dave Lehnert
01-11-2011, 12:57 PM
I have an '05 Tundra (last/smaller body style) with over 60K miles. The only thing I've done is change the oil. It has a V8 (4.7L I think) and gets in the neghborhood of 20 mpg hwy at speed limit. Don't know anything of a rusted frame issue. I'll watch this thread to learn more.

Andy

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/daily-news/091009-Toyota-Tundra-Investigated-For-Severe-Frame-Rust-Problems/
(http://www.autospies.com/news/Toyota-Acknowledges-1st-Gen-Tundra-Frame-Rust-Issues-43429/)

Jim Rimmer
01-11-2011, 1:34 PM
Not trying to dissuade you but check this site: http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/gallery/videos-and-demos/
A series of videos comparing the F150 to Dodge Ram, Chevy Silverado, and Tundra. Of course, it is a Ford site so have your skeptic glasses on but still some good info.

Dave Lehnert
01-11-2011, 2:46 PM
Not trying to dissuade you but check this site: http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/gallery/videos-and-demos/
A series of videos comparing the F150 to Dodge Ram, Chevy Silverado, and Tundra. Of course, it is a Ford site so have your skeptic glasses on but still some good info.

Thanks for the link, I will have a look.

Like I said before, I love my Ford F-150 but having to put a new engine in it at 74K put a bad taste in my mouth. I purchased that truck new and had the 1997 engine issue from day one. Had it to the dealer many times for it. I put little miles on my truck so 74K took 11-12 years.( I did not know what the big issue was at the time, only problems I was having related to it) I've been looking at trucks and can't walk onto a Ford lot without the salesman looking at my truck and saying "Put a new engine in it yet?" Yes, Toyota had an issue with the Tundra with frames rusting but they are replacing frames free 7 or 8 years after purchase.
After my problems I still feel Ford has the better quality truck. Just trying to decide if Ford deserves my $$$$$

Dusty Fuller
01-11-2011, 4:33 PM
For what little its worth, here's my experience with several truck manufacturers...

My brother in law drove a 2001 for a few years until the gas cost got prohibitive - he's got about 1.5 hours of commuting each day. He was sad to see it go. The times I drove it, I liked everything about it except that blasted turning radius.

From what I heard from my Dad (recent truck shopper) they got that fixed. He bought a 2009 Tacoma after looking at Ford/Chevy/Toyota. The Tundra was a bit much (too tall/wide/etc.) because he doesn't have a big boat, camper, or anything else. I like the Tacoma, except for the short windshield. He bought a 2005 F150 Crew Cab 4WD that he only kept for about 8 months, it had a suspension shudder that developed at about 45mph that Ford couldn't fix, and they bought it back. Kudos to Ford for good business, but he hasn't been fond of Ford since. He still has his 1992 F150 2WD 5.0L, its pretty solid and it rides good at over 130,000 miles.

My boss has a 2005 Dodge Crew Cab 4wd 5.7L; I'm not overly impressed but its been pretty reliable. To me its big and a bit cumbersome, but that's just my preference as my eventual truck needs will involve dirt roads/trails with limited turnaround space. Also known as log/tree retrieval...

One of our work trucks is a 2010 F150 Extended Cab 4WD with the smaller V8. Only 2000 miles on it so I can't comment as to reliability. I am NOT impressed, however, with the body panels and how they seem pretty thin and "cheap". I have a feeling they'll get dented pretty easily and don't contribute to an overall "solid" feel. The interior is ok, I just wish they would get rid of their wiper controls that haven't changed since at least 1992 (my dad's old for has the same control as my boss's 2010). The bed is also very deep, which is a bit of a pain in our field (parks and recreation). The "cheap" seats that it has aren't bad, and the headlights do a pretty good job at night, at least compared to the older trucks we have.

Nope, my comments aren't worth a whole lot, but I'd give everything a good test drive (or two) and once you narrow it down, find someone who uses that truck similar to how you intend to. Personally I like our 2006 Rav4 (270hp makes for a fun drive), but its not a truck and I won't ever try to say that it is a substitute. One of these days I'll be look at 4wd (or AWD) with a 6 foot bed, but not real soon. I'll start at Toyota and go from there due to past experience and current ownership (Rav4 and 1993 Camry), but I won't rule out Ford as they've been doing some hard work on their stuff lately.

Good luck!

Jim Becker
01-11-2011, 9:11 PM
I owned a 2000 Tundra Limited and it was a wonderful truck. The only reason I sold it was because after adopting the girls, we needed a vehicle that didn't have "suicide doors" for the back seats. (The four door version was not yet available back then) I'd buy another Tundra in a second if I ever went back to a pickup. I managed nearly 20 mpg on the highway (good at that point in time) and it was a very comfortable ride. Yes, the turning radius wasn't steller, but many full size pickups suffer from that.

Jeff Heil
01-11-2011, 10:00 PM
I owned a 2004 Tundra Limited until a young lady on her cell phone rearended me when I was stopped to turn left. It was totalled and I replaced it with a 2006 Tundra Limited. My wife drives a 2003 Toyota Sequoia, same 4.7L engine and drivetrain. Other than the balljoint recall on hers and routine maintainence it has been trouble-free for 95,000 miles. We get between 14-16 MPG in mixed country/city driving on both. Keep the RPM's around 2000 and I get 18+ on the highway. The Tundra has a nice sized backseat and the 6' bed works for me. I haul big loads with my trailer, but enjoy the convenience of hauling a sheet of plywood easily without digging out the trailer.

We have nothing but positive things to saw about our Tundra. The power down rear window is my favorite feature! I like the towing capacity of the new larger Tundra's, but mine is paid for and I hope to get 200K out of it.

Leigh Betsch
01-11-2011, 11:59 PM
I think if you are going to use it as a serious working/towing truck it might be a little light. Fine for almost anything us "normal" people tow (boats, campers, and wood hauling trailers) but you don't see many 5th wheel stock trailers being pulled by Tundra's in ranch country. I have a Tacoma, and a Chevy Avalanche, I wouldn't call either one a serious work truck.

Mac McQuinn
01-12-2011, 11:06 AM
I purchased a new 2004 SR5 Access Cab 4.7V8, 2WD in late 04 and put 65000, trouble free miles on it. Loved the truck. 20mpg on H/W, 18 otherwise. Purchased a new 09 Tacoma in summer of 08 due to the $4.25 gas price in my area and wished i'd kept the Tundra. I don't personally like the new Tundras.....Styling seems out of sorts, too big also.
Mac

Brian Tymchak
01-12-2011, 12:17 PM
I owned a 2004 Tundra Limited until a young lady on her cell phone rearended me when I was stopped to turn left. It was totalled and I replaced it with a 2006 Tundra Limited.

Wow. If your Tundra was totaled, I'd hate to see what that lady's vehicle looked like afterward. My Tundra is a rock. Just bent the front bumper a bit when I smacked a deer head on at 40 mph.

Brian Tymchak
01-12-2011, 12:20 PM
I don't personally like the new Tundras.....Styling seems out of sorts, too big also.
Mac

Feel the same way, although I would still buy it based on my experience with my '01. Is it just me or do they look like a Dodge Ram in the nose? Never liked that "bulldog" look.

Rob Bodenschatz
01-12-2011, 12:47 PM
2010 Tundra owner since June. Love it. I get 14/15 mpg; mostly local (non-highway) driving. Only 3800 miles on it so i can't attest to the reliability yet. I got the 5 year 0% financing deal so that was a plus.

Ron Natalie
01-12-2011, 2:15 PM
I have a 2004 D-Cab Tundra....not a lick of trouble with it. Only thing I've replaced is a battery and tires.

Steve Griffin
01-13-2011, 11:40 PM
06 with zero problems. The main things I like is the ample power for pulling my small trailer in the mountains, and the quiet ride. (When our two year old is sleeping in the back, I can hear him breathing....)

Negatives are minor. The thing is a beast in parking lots--can't see anything behind you and you need a football field of room to turn into a spot. I've always had smaller trucks, so I'm not used to 17-18 mph gas bills, but I guess it's not bad for that much truck.

If I were to buy anything new, I'd investigate the latest Ford 150 seriously. -Steve

Darcy Forman
01-15-2011, 11:20 AM
I have an 05 Tundra quad cab since new. 4.7 litre engine. Gets about 20 mpg on the highway. Mine has 100,000 kms and has only been back to toyota for the ball joint recall. The only things I have had to do to it is change the oil, tires, and windshield wipers twice. We live in a part of the world where salt is king in the winter on our roads, and I havn't seen rust issues any worse than any other vehical. At work we use ford pickups and lots of them. Lots of problem with engines needing replacement. They typically range from 60'000 kms to max of about 140,000 kms. Not every truck either but on about 50% of the trucks we typically run. I would never own a ford again, and at work they have left me walking down the road too many times. Just my opinion for what its worth.

Dave Lehnert
01-15-2011, 12:34 PM
Rob,

What size engine do you have?

Rob Bodenschatz
01-15-2011, 12:54 PM
Rob,

What size engine do you have?

I have the 5.7L V8 Double Cab.

Thomas Hotchkin
01-15-2011, 2:04 PM
Hello Dave. I have a 2008 Tundra SR5, 5.7L V8. with two wheel drive. As I only work part time now days, it only has 17K miles on it. Before the BTU's in our gasoline went down I was getting 22 mpg on the highway without cruise control on in 2008. Mpg drops about 10% with cruise control on, lots of hills around here. The only BIG thing that I do not like on the Tundra is the electronic throttle, after driving different pickups for 55 years, for me its a little hard to get use to. If there is any rough pavement were you are starting from, your foot can dance on throttle with truck doing the same. Last pickup was 97 Chev 1500 4WD that went thru three sets on intake manifold gaskets over its 150K miles. Before That was a Ford F150 120K miles with lots of engine troubles (cam temper & MIO) On the pickup that you are thinking of buying take it on some long test drives on different payments, you may come up with something you do not like. Tom

Bob Rufener
01-16-2011, 12:52 PM
I've owned an extended cab 2002 Tundra with a V8 for over 6 years. A great truck. I now have 108k on it and it runs great. I have had to replace several oxygen sensors but nothing other than that. I even have the original battery. I am not enamored with the extended cab "suicide" doors as they can be a pita. If I were to buy another one, I'd go with the crew cab for convenience. I get anywhere from 14 to 17 mpg depending on the season of the year and how hard I push it. I have had two minor problems. There is a key lock access cover for the gasoline fill pipe. I took out the guts because it got so gunked up from road salt etc that I had a hard time opening it when filling the tank. Also, the cable for opening the hood sticks so I have to use a screw driver to pull the cable back so I can close the hood. Two minor inconveniences. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.