PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have an ark building manual?

Brian Ashton
01-11-2011, 12:11 AM
Don't know if you guys get much international news but Queensland Australia (where I've been living) is about to float away. We've had rivers and creeks here rise by over 50 feet in less than 20 hours. Yes that's correct 50 feet. People had barely enough time to clamber onto the roofs of their houses before the water was up to the gutters. And no one saw it coming... There are areas that have averaged 3 inches of rain/hour. It's going to lessen over the next couple days but it doesn't look like it's going to stop any time soon. And if that weren't enough lighting is hammering us. I was knocked out of bed at 5:30 with a near miss. Absolutely shook the house; and then a few more every hour or so. Finally one scored a direct hit and blew the breakers in ours and the neighbours house. Luckily I ran around the house after the first strike at 5:30am and unplugged everything so no known damage - yet.

Only couple years ago we were dying from a long drawn out drought... All the dams the south east were averaging less than 15% capacity, now they're at 175% capacity. A couple weeks ago they were at about 90% capacity...

At present I think they're saying the floods cover an area much larger than texas.

I think I might look at trading the truck in on a boat... but not an aluminium boat.

One things for sure aussies don't do anything half heartedly.

Bruce Page
01-11-2011, 12:41 AM
Hang in there Brian. I have been following it in the news, you guys have been getting hammered!

Brian Kent
01-11-2011, 12:59 AM
Hey Brian. Thanks for bringing our attention to it. We have had some other stuff on page one news and I had assumed last week's floods had abated. I'll be watching now and praying for the bunch of you.
Other Brian

Brian Ashton
01-11-2011, 1:58 AM
I was just thinking that these floods remind me of when mount saint Helens popped it's top and how the rivers rose so quickly and swept everything away. The gov has just granted emergency people very wide sweeping powers. They can now forceably remove people and destroy property if they deem it necessary

Belinda Barfield
01-11-2011, 6:55 AM
I was just thinking that these floods remind me of when mount saint Helens popped it's top and how the rivers rose so quickly and swept everything away. The gov has just granted emergency people very wide sweeping powers. They can now forceably remove people and destroy property if they deem it necessary

The flooding is scary, but emergency powers are scarier in some ways. I would say climb a high tree and hang on, but that wouldn't be too wise with the lightning. Hope the water recedes quickly. I'll be thinking of you guys down under.

David Freed
01-11-2011, 8:20 AM
We'll be thinking about you.

Belinda Barfield
01-11-2011, 10:05 AM
And now the "instant tsunami". Geez, you guys are getting really hammered. Doubling prayers!

Bill Edwards(2)
01-11-2011, 11:26 AM
I'm pretty sure the Ark Building "manual" exists and has for a long time. :D

Todd Crawford
01-11-2011, 11:33 AM

My initial thought as well - prayers sent up for you guys.

Here's a link to a story about a guy from the Netherlands that built an ark.

http://www.care2.com/c2c/groups/disc.html?gpp=7054&pst=1202807

ray hampton
01-11-2011, 12:57 PM
we get the international news only IF WE hunt for it,I hope that Queenland got high ground to go to

Brian Kent
01-11-2011, 1:14 PM
This morning was the first time I saw this round of flooding on the news. That is one wall of water!

Matt Ranum
01-11-2011, 4:51 PM
Keeping you in our thoughts! Stay safe if at all possible.

Brian Ashton
01-11-2011, 9:12 PM
It's interesting how this all has built up over the last few months. My wife works for the government here and is assigned to community recovery teams in the event that something like this would happen. She's been involved in meetings and seminars since October with the Bureau of Meteorology (BOM). They were saying back then that this was going to happen right around new years. They expected at least one isolated (meaning restricted to a very small geographical location) weather anomaly of approx. 800mm of rain to fall in a single day. They didn't quite get the date right or the amount right but they were pretty darn close. The biggest problems was not knowing where it was going to happen so there was no way of warning people. These events rise up extremely quickly and don't show up well on radar. What happened in Toowoomba and the Lockyer Valley manifested in a matter of minutes. Only thing about their predictions is we ain't in the full wet season yet, it doesn't peak till February.

The problem BOM and the community recovery teams had was trying to convince the populous to prepare - no one was listening. BOM did admit in their meetings that they were part of the problem in that they've been saying this for the past few years that a big one was coming and people have stopped taking notice.

Brian Ashton
01-11-2011, 9:17 PM

That was a good one LOL

John Coloccia
01-11-2011, 9:21 PM

Now just where is he going to get thousands of Board Cubits of wood on short notice?

:D

Clarence Miller
01-11-2011, 9:37 PM
wow you have my sympathy. I about freaked out when I had 42 inches in my basement this summer I could not imagine 50 feet

Brian Ashton
01-11-2011, 11:47 PM
And gopher wood at that!

Now just where is he going to get thousands of Board Cubits of wood on short notice?

:D

Brian Kent
01-31-2011, 8:28 PM
Hey Brian, do you need to get ready for a big storm now? Not exactly a drought year. Best of luck to you all.

Brian

Belinda Barfield
02-01-2011, 7:31 AM
Brian, I'm hoping you have that ark built by now. As Mr. Kent said, best of luck!

John Coloccia
02-01-2011, 7:37 AM
I've been thumbing through every Bible, Torah, Koran, Bhagavad Gita, Necromonicon and Book of the Dead looking for sled building instructions.

Belinda Barfield
02-01-2011, 7:39 AM
I've been thumbing through every Bible, Torah, Koran, Bhagavad Gita, Necromonicon and Book of the Dead looking for sled building instructions.

Ahhh . . . see, there's your problem, John. You're looking through literature from warm places. Try one of the Icelandic sagas. There has to be something in one of them. If all else fails, call Palin.:D

John Coloccia
02-01-2011, 8:07 AM
Ahhh . . . see, there's your problem, John. Your looking through literature from warm places. Try one of the Icelandic sagas. There has to be something in one of them. If all else fails, call Palin.:D

Ah, yes. Kalevala! My wife is Finnish and I'm certain we have a translation around here somewhere.

Mike OMelia
02-01-2011, 9:14 AM

Yes, I was going to suggest this... better get your conversion chart out. Cubits as a scale is a bit outdated and can lead to different results based on the builder. Near the front of the book as I recall.

Bill Edwards(2)
02-01-2011, 9:20 AM

Isn't it the vikings that believed the world would end in ice?:confused:

Wow and we're in a blizzard warning.:eek:

Brian Ashton
02-01-2011, 7:46 PM
I think they now need a bunker building manual. Cairns and Townsville up north are just about to get hit with the biggest tropical cyclone they've seen. This thing at present is 500 miles across (that's only the hurricane level winds that is) and moving at about 25 mph (that's fast). Wind measures on an outlying island weather station clocked winds at about 125mph before damage knocked it off line. Storm surge is expected to be 32 feet or more. Should hit land at about 10pm tonight. They're evacing tens of thousands, basically (it's 11am, 11 hours till liftoff) the government is saying RUN!

Cyclone Larry that hit Innisvale (a town between Cairns and Townsville) 4 years ago was only about 50 miles in diameter (hurricane level winds) and it absolutely decimated the place. They've only just gotten back on there feet and it looks like they're going to fly away again, this time Dorothy might actually make it back Kansas.

Brian Kent
02-01-2011, 9:17 PM
I just looked at the Weather Underground. I think it's time for me to switch from "Best Wishes" to heavy duty prayers.

Brian

John Coloccia
02-01-2011, 9:38 PM
http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/sp201111_sat.html#a_topad

That is one BIG storm.

Belinda Barfield
02-02-2011, 7:13 AM
Adding my prayers. I heard on the news this a.m. that the storm is on the level of Katrina. Winds at 185. There is a certain beauty in a storm that size, but not when it is headed for land.

Brian Ashton
02-02-2011, 4:45 PM
Well it looks like this cyclone was in the end a very heavy smoker - just didn't have the puff or the legs to get the job done. Seems the usual trailer parks, large trees and banana plantatios all blew away...

Brian Kent
02-03-2011, 5:20 PM
Brian, since you wrote to us, I assume you and yours are OK. Reports here say there were no fatalities. You Easterners (both in Eastern Australia and Eastern US and Canada) have really been through it all lately.

Good to hear from you.

Brian

Brian Ashton
02-03-2011, 10:31 PM
I'm sure everyone up there were grateful for the prayers you guys and gals sent up. They really were fortunate.