PDA

View Full Version : Newman Planer

Jonathan Spool
01-10-2011, 9:56 PM
anyone know anything about a Newman S620 20" planer? I am looking at one that is 5hp 3phase, direct drive. Did they use proprietory motors or should it be not too difficult to switch it out with a single phase motor?

Stephen Cherry
01-10-2011, 10:26 PM
I only know what I've read on the owwm website. I think that the direct drive should not be abandoned without careful thought. From what I understand it eliminates the vibration from the belts and pulleys and replaces it with zero vibration. Also, some of these machines used the machine bearings for the motor, the motor internals hung in the breeze, suspended from the machine bearings. Don't know if hte machine you are looking at has this or not.

Three phase? Check the practical machinist site for all the three phase conversion information. To run a 5 hp, you need about 10 hp idler on the converter. I just put one together for my shaper and saw- once you go industrial there is no looking back as far as machinery goes.

Too bad Dev Emch is not around anymore!

Van Huskey
01-10-2011, 10:31 PM
Those are direct drive aren't they? That may well make replacing the motor really hard. If I got something like that I would look at the budget as if I was going to HAVE to provide 3ph power via converter.

Scott T Smith
01-11-2011, 4:04 PM
Newman makes outstanding production orientated equipment. If it were me, I'd operate it via a phase converter instead of changing out the motor.

One nice thing about using a converter is that your invesement can be used to power other (future) 3 phase equipment.

If you use a converter, be sure that the wiring is set up for 240 instead of 480 3-phase on the Newman's motor.

Chip Lindley
01-11-2011, 7:21 PM
Like this one?

I'm betting the motor is specific to the Newman; most all direct-drives are. But, to make sure, ask the guys at OWWM.org.

Fast Forward ahead...Once you are set up for running 3-phase, the door is wide open to lots of heavy duty, "made in USA" woodworking machines; many available at pennies on the dollar.

Van Huskey
01-11-2011, 7:35 PM
Like this one?

Fast Forward ahead...Once you are set up for running 3-phase, the door is wide open to lots of heavy duty, "made in USA" woodworking machines; many available at pennies on the dollar.

This is very true and although I have yet to open that door, I am sure I will. The thing is you have to look at the cost of a 3 phase converter over the long haul, the "investment" can very well save money when you buy all those big honking industrial machines as Chip points out for pennies on the dollar.