PDA

View Full Version : How dey do dat

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-10-2011, 9:44 PM
I was thinking again. I should stop that particular process. Anyway, I don't use a coring rig but it occurs to me that only the largest bowl can have a tenon. So, how do you folks with coring rigs second turn the bowls without tenons.
faust

Nate Davey
01-10-2011, 9:45 PM
Flip the core around put it back in the blank, use it as a jamb chuck and cut your tenon.

Josh Bowman
01-10-2011, 9:50 PM
Another way is to make a recessed tenon on the top of the blank, core then flip the core and hold it with the reverse tenon to turn the new tenon.

Bernie Weishapl
01-10-2011, 10:18 PM
I don't put a tenon on till it is dry and returned to the lathe. I just open the chuck up, put the bowl against it and bring up the tailstock. Turn the tenon and shape I want then flip it around.

Reed Gray
01-11-2011, 12:53 AM
I turn my green bowls to final thickness and let them dry and warp. I use a recess (drilled with a forstner bit) in the top of the blank to mount with chuck in expansion mode, then turn the bottom with another finished recess. I take the largest core first, and when it comes out, there is already a centered recess in it for remounting. You can leave a face plate on if you wish, but you have to remove the chuck to remount the core. Mike Mahoney takes the smaller core first, on down to the largest one. He thick turns, dries, and then returns. If you watch his coring video, he used his chuck for a jam chuck to turn a tenon.

robo hippy

Grant Wilkinson
01-13-2011, 9:19 PM
I've not done many, but I turn a tenon onto the top face of what will be the core before I core it out. Then, I can hold it in my chuck to cut a tenon on the bottom of it.