PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments......

Dennis Peacock
01-10-2005, 8:31 AM
Well, another weekend has come and gone. It's been raining enough here to where I've had to empty over 20 gallons of water out of my shop for 8 dripping places from my metal roof. Just use good buckets!!! ;)

Needed family time this weekend so I began the stock preparation for the knife box and I figured out that I have really got to find a way to plane this curly maple without it tearing out so much!!!! Sunday was church and family night, so no woodworking there.

Tonight will be "hot and heavy" on the knife box project #002!!! :eek: ;) :cool:

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.....

Jeff Sudmeier
01-10-2005, 8:39 AM
Well I actually did not get a whole lot done in the shop this weekend. LOML and I are going on a trip starting on Wednesday, so the weekend was pretty much spent doing that.

I delivered my Sister's changing table on Friday night, it was VERY well received.

I started sanding down the old kitchen cabinet I was given that will be the start of my SCMS stand.

Hope everyone had a great and more importantly safe weekend!

Kelly C. Hanna
01-10-2005, 8:49 AM
We pulled a rear axle from a 3/4 ton Chevy truck to replace mine with....weighs over 450 lbs!! Also got a bunch of car parts cleaned prepped and painted.

My shop is full of motor parts and accessories right now so there's little woodworking going on, but I did get time to rescue a small rocking chair made for a child. Someone had set it out to be hauled off and being that it wasn't 'totalled' I brought it home and set about reglueing and clamping the chair back together.

We have a nephew who would love this chair, so I'm going to sand it down and refinish it. I don't recognize the wood....I'll post pics later when I get time and you guys can help me figure out what it's made of.

Matt Meiser
01-10-2005, 8:50 AM
Friday we went to see "Meet the Fokkers" which is not fine film, but very funny IMHO.

We got a suprise 6" of snow Saturday morning so I spent a good part of my morning on the tractor. In the afternoon, I completed my downdraft table and the associated dust plumbing and then started on my knock-down spray booth. Sunday was church and visiting my parents, then some more time on the spray booth.

Jim Dunn
01-10-2005, 9:00 AM
Back pain and an MRI showed a ruptured disc. Shop time does not exist for me now :( All I can do is look from a chair.

Tyler are MRI pics necessary :D I swear it's my back and not some tool or project:)

Jay Munsterman
01-10-2005, 9:08 AM
No shop time for me this weekend, spent it all in the basement utility room climbing around the furnace. On the bright side, we now have whole house humidification.

Bobby McCarley
01-10-2005, 9:23 AM
Finshed up porch swing and delivered it to daughter and new son-in-law, also finshed up a batch of Freedom Pen that have been on the back burner due to other projects. Went shopping with the LOML to buy a new mattress pad for our bed. Ended up buying stuff to completely redo bedroom :rolleyes: :confused: New bedspread,sheets, pillowshams,curtains,paint for the walls, but no mattress pad :confused: :confused: What gives? Why is that whenever they go to get one thing, they have to end up redoing everything? She stayed in the bedroom all day Sunday doing her thing and I stayed in the shop doing mine, mostly trying to stay out of her way :D

Bobby

Steve Ash
01-10-2005, 10:11 AM
Got started building my son a Oak gun cabinet (Tyler I'll get pics...I promise)

Keel McDonald
01-10-2005, 10:23 AM
Dennis,

I finally got around to moving a potbelly stove out of my house and into my shop. It got entirely too hot for the place it sat in the house, so I figured I'd replace the kerosene heater, which was about useless, with the potbelly stove in the shop. Other than it weighing about 500 lbs, it was not bad to install. Now I can spend time in the shop on those cold wintery nights doing something useful instead of sitting on my duff in front of the boob tube. It keeps it nice and toasty in there too. Nothing heats like a real wood fire. And besides, now I have somewhere to get rid of all those tiny bits of wood that constantly accumulate around the shop.

Jim Fancher
01-10-2005, 10:27 AM
I picked up a HF DC (45378) and their accessory kit locally for $110. It was new in the box, but was missing some bolts. Less than $2 and an hour later I had it together and testing it. I'll be modding it soon. I can't seem to leave anything stock for long.

I also got a biscuit joiner in the mail that I bought from a Creek member. I can't wait to try it out.

Jim's a happy boy although no saw dust was created.

Tim Farrell
01-10-2005, 10:34 AM
It was a good weekend for me. I am working on a cherry jewelry box for wifey.

It has a lower level with three drawers for rings and bracelets.

The upper level is tall enough for chains to hang full length. It the upper has glass doors.

I actually started glue up this weekend. Got the entire bottom and base assembled (still clamped now).

Going to size the drawers over the next couple nights (after the kids go to sleep).

Jim O'Dell
01-10-2005, 11:00 AM
I had to work 1/2 day Sat. am. got about 3 1/2 hours shop clean up Sat, and probably 7 hours worth on Sunday (see Coolmeadow Creations Shop Rehab thread, 2nd page.) It was a good weekend, but man am I tired and sore this morning! Jim.

Lou Morrissette
01-10-2005, 11:09 AM
Spent most of Saturday cleaning out the garage at the property we just sold. Spent Sunday hanging a few lights in the shop, trimming out the utility bench I built and adding a shelf under the bench top. It's starting to look like something.

Lou

Keith Christopher
01-10-2005, 11:16 AM
Spent the weekend with my kids. Did a little woodworking trying to fix the mistake in the mirror I was making. But also milled up some more cherry and curly maple to make two more. I should have some glueups going tonight then round two (pun intended) or making the round mirrors.

Herb Blair
01-10-2005, 11:19 AM
Besides doing all the honey-does, Saturday, I made time to move an old workbench out of my shop, removed the 50" rails from my TS and put 26" rails back on (so I can store it). Made some changes to the DC system. Re-arranged my shop so I would have room to put the new Unisaw that will be delivered tomorrow (also film at 11). I ordered the saw on Wednesday, I had a voice mail at my office this morning asking for a time to deliver. Woodworker's Supply is a great company to work with. I wasn't expecting the saw for a week or two.
Sunday, I built the tambors for the Cherry roll top desk that I am building for my wife. (Pictures forthcoming). Rented a 12' U-Haul, and picked up a 40' tower (20' collapsed) and beam antenna that was given to me. (my other hobby is Ham Radio.) Returned the trailer.
Hit the recliner about 3 in the afternoon and collapsed.

Dan Gill
01-10-2005, 11:29 AM
I started designing and preparing stock for a wall-mount mailbox I want to build. It will be built entirely from mahogany that I got from a local cabinet shop scrap pile. That and some cleanup are about it. I really didn't get much shop time this weekend. But I didn't have to go to work . . . That's something.

Jerry Ingraham
01-10-2005, 11:36 AM
Added two swing -up outfeed extensions to my outfeed table, now I've got 66" of out feed support. So far my dual table saw setup is wotking well.

Started on built in bookcases to flank our fireplace.

Scott Coffelt
01-10-2005, 12:26 PM
I figured out that I have really got to find a way to plane this curly maple without it tearing out so much!!!!

Dennis,
The last time I was in Turn About Woods in Kansas City buying curly Maple, I talked to them about how to plan smoothly. They said they have a spray bottle with water and spray the side being planned to wet the fibers and then take shallow passes with sharp knives. I tried it and it worked for me. I then like to finish up on the drum sander.

Good Luck

Scott Coffelt
01-10-2005, 12:31 PM
I have a nice list of things to get done with the house before it goes on the market in April. I painted some doors to storage/access areas in our sitting room above the garage.

I shampooed carpet on the steps and basement, downfall of having a basement shop is you track stuff in and out.

I spent the rest of the weekend reviewing my house plans, calculating trim material and also designing all the cabinetry and built-ins for the house. Then redoing them once LOML got a peek and ask that I make changes. I still have the bar and another built-in to design. I can then calculate the materials. All of this so I can add that to the build budget.

Fred Voorhees
01-10-2005, 9:03 PM
Began to wrap up the construction of the bar in the new bar room. Had left over Pergo flooring from the floor part of the project and thought that it might look good on top of the bar also.

Had one heck of a time locating actual wood flooring glue per the recommendations of another "creeker" who is a certified Pergo installer. The running around looking for that on Saturday cost me a few hours. The carcass of the bar is 2X4 construction using lots of half-lap joints. I purposely ordered extra sheets of oak laminated beadboard when I ordered up the material for the wainscoting and that is what I used to face the bar body. I backed this beadboard up in the bar project with half inch plywood for structural strength since I didn't think 3/16" beadboard was going to be enough on 24 inch centers on the body of the bar. 3/4" ply was used as a substrate on the bar top and the Pergo was glued down directly to that. The footrest portion of the bar is fabricated from 3/4" oak ply and still needs to be trimmed out in brass-look corner beading that is normally used to edge stairs. I spent some of the weekend fabricating enough bar rail trim to edge the bar top and that came out pretty clean using a bead detail along the top of the rail. Before applying that, I trimmed out underneath the bar extension in front of the body with some 1/4" oak so that it hid the ply from being seen from underneath.

The first two pics show the bar top freshly laid down and clamped. The platform you can see at the far end of the bar is where the beer cooler/tap will be located. It will sit within the bars confines and the top of the cooler will sit just proud of the top surface of the bar and will be trimed out with some oak trimming when it is finally put in its place. The third picture is of the bar in its present state, just awaiting its clear finish and the brass trim around the footrest. Excuse the minor "space fuzzies" in the third picture as I snapped the photo a little soon after sweeping up and there was still some dust in the air.

Jim Becker
01-10-2005, 10:24 PM
No woodworking this weekend, other than shellac-ing and waxing the walnut side table for the new home theater room detailed in its own thread in the Off Topic Forum. On Saturday, the new sofa was delivered and I spend the rest of the day moving the equipment and getting things setup. DVD of the week was Truly, Madly, Deeply which was absolutely excellent. Sunday was spent rearranging furniture in the great room and cleaning out a lot of cabinets...there is now a very large pile of stuff from over the years to go to the thrift shop as well as a few things that will be FreeCycled. I now have to decide what the next project(s) will be after cleaning up the shop at the start of the next weekend.

Fred...lookin' great! I meant to stop by this afternoon on the way home from Basking Ridge, but the briefing went over by about an hour and I had to get home to meet Dr. SWMBO for a meeting this evening.

Greg Hairston
01-10-2005, 10:54 PM
I had some quality time in the shop this weekend. Sat morning I went and picked up some Plywood and MDF. I also picked up a PSI overhead blade guard and hooked that up. I mounted it to the ceiling and it is working pretty well. Spent the rest of the day aligning my sliding table and preparing to start on my workbench project. Hopefully I will take progress pics

Greg

Scott Parks
01-11-2005, 1:52 AM
I had planned on getting a lot done, but... I was lazy. Had 5 days home and lounged with my family... I installed a new kitchen faucet. Also sold my old Craftsman tablesaw. Put away the christmas stuff and cleaned up some clutter in my garage. So now I have room to tinker with the new table saw and not trip over anything in my way. And I was able to get my wifes truck in the garage and out of the snow. It's been over 6 months since she has been able to park in the garage.

Norman Hitt
01-11-2005, 7:01 AM
I mostly spent the weekend doing Support Duties and chores for my wife who had been spending a lot of night time tending her best friend the last couple of weeks before she passed away shortly after midnight Saturday night. I did a lot of cooking the rest of the night for her family, and visited with them, but I did get a little shop time in between chores. Finally got the MDF laminated for the top of my Buddies new router table, and got tired of having to wait for him to get a night off work to help handle large pieces on his cabinet saw so I got about half way finished building a hurry up outfeed table for it. Maybe after the Funeral tomorrow, I will get to finish it so I can trim the top to rough size and glue the edge banding on before it gets too cold to glue again.

Scott Stephens
01-11-2005, 9:28 AM
Spent most of Saturday cleaning up shop. Then installed a plate on the back of my G0444Z for dust collecter system(ordered 2hp from HF). Then attached 2 pieces of angle iron for my extention table.
Had to go to Lowe's on Sunday. LOML wants a couple of curtain/shelves. I needed some 1 1/4" wooden rods Next project.
Did some design work for 2 end tables the LOML wants.
Will try to get some shop time this week and get started on these.

Bob Hovde
01-11-2005, 12:33 PM
Putting mud on wallboard joints. Only have to move everything in the garage and shop one more time to paint. Then I can install the recepticles and get the final electrical inspection. I may get heat on before Spring! :)

Also, took LOML to see "Cirque Dreams." If it comes near you, go see it. Those people can do things the human body wasn't designed for.

Bob