PDA

View Full Version : One of THOSE Days

David Warkentin
01-10-2011, 8:51 PM
Had one of those days today. Still had a lotta fun turning so wasn't all bad.:rolleyes: Turned a scoop and realized maybe I should try harder on uniform wall thickness. Turned a cedar bowl and it was beautiful. Only problem was, when I reversed it in cole jaws, it was a little loose and flew out and hit me in the bottom lip. No, no face mask.:o No damage to my lip either. But the edge of the bowl was tore up and now it has a crack in it. Finished it and wood burned Proof of Idiocy on the bottom. So I turned an amboyna burl pen (first amboyna, wow that stuff is beautiful) and put it on a Gent JR. It's out of round! Oh well, good practice. Anyone else ever have days like that?:rolleyes:

David E Keller
01-10-2011, 8:54 PM
I've had plenty of days like that. Glad there was no major damage to your face.

David Warkentin
01-10-2011, 8:59 PM
Do you work on faces, Dr. Keller?

Richard Madden
01-10-2011, 9:02 PM
Yes sir, had plenty of days like that. On a couple of occasions I've even felt like if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all.

David E Keller
01-10-2011, 9:04 PM
Nope... I'm an arms and legs guy. Sounds like you've got a pretty tough lip if you managed to break the bowl with it and not get a scratch.

David Warkentin
01-10-2011, 9:07 PM
Bowl probably broke on way out of jaws or when it hit floor.

Michael James
01-10-2011, 9:22 PM
I think it's called paying your dues..... glad you weren't hurt worse. Good argument for a faceshield. Using the tailstock improves your centerness and safety!
mj

David DeCristoforo
01-10-2011, 9:24 PM
That sounds like a pretty average day around here...

John Keeton
01-10-2011, 9:27 PM
David, you are a better man than I!! I would have turned off the lathe and gone to the house after the cedar bowl!!

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-10-2011, 9:35 PM
I think it was a great day. You got spend time in the shop, you finished a project or two and tonight when you look in the mirror you can still like your face. The best part is the cheap reminder, wear a shield and thank whomever you believe in for how things worked out.
faust

Bernie Weishapl
01-10-2011, 10:22 PM
Sounds like a good day anyway. I never turn without a shield since I had the same thing happen except it split my lip.

Lee Koepke
01-10-2011, 10:44 PM
today for me.

While making a donut chuck, my bandsaw blade decided to burst on me, so i only got half a donut chuck done today.
then, using a half-a-donut chuck to tape the lid of my bowl on .... after the last scrape, the tape broke loose and frisebeed it across the shop (no damage to the top....how I'll never know)
then ... in my other thread, i mentioned dropping the freshly oiled bowl and losing a beautiful chunk somewhere in my shop.

yes, that happens to others too.