PDA

View Full Version : Making a new guard for my TS: Acrylic or Polycarb?

Jay Maiers
01-10-2011, 2:54 PM
I think I already know the answer to this one, but thought I'd throw it out just in case there are some things I didn't think about...

New TS Guard and DC hood. Acrylic or Polycarbonate (Lexan)?

I'm working on an improved guard for my TS. The stock model works fine, but there is no DC capability. I could alter the stock unit by adding a DC flange, but I doubt it would do as good of a job as a new, purpose-built guard. I love DIY stuff (making things, solving problems, etc...), so I'm going to try this route first. Through work, I've got access to a number of different plastics, aluminum profiles, and a CNC router to help get it right. :)

Michael Weber
01-10-2011, 4:21 PM
Don't use Acrylic (I'm assuming Plexiglass is acrlic). I made a guard/dust hood from it and I can tell you from experience, If it's hit very hard due to a kickback or whatever, it will shatter into sharp edged projectiles.

David Hostetler
01-10-2011, 5:04 PM
FWIW, Lee Styron makes his Shark Guard blade guards out of Polycarbonate.

Jay Maiers
01-10-2011, 5:27 PM
Thanks guys.

David, thanks also for the Shark Guard tip. It looks like Lee has a pretty sweet product. It definately helps establish some goals for my project!

Brian Libby
01-10-2011, 6:32 PM
Lexan - genericly Polycarbonate - only product for this type of use.

A lot of people mistake acrylic (plexi-glass) for polycarb

Erik France
01-10-2011, 6:34 PM
Thanks guys.

David, thanks also for the Shark Guard tip. It looks like Lee has a pretty sweet product. It definately helps establish some goals for my project!
I don't know if you saw it, but he has his plans and photos of the Original Shark Guard he developed for the BT3000. Might give you some ideas.
http://www.leestyron.com/sharkguard_plans.php

I have a later version on my saw. The best feature is being able to quickly take the guard off for non-through cuts and leave the riving knife in.

Jeffrey Makiel
01-11-2011, 7:49 AM
I think polycarbonate is the material used for safety glasses too. That says something to me.
Jeff :)