PDA

View Full Version : What to do with this wood / how to work hard woods

Federico Mena Quintero
01-10-2011, 2:27 PM
I got access to a good chunk of Tapirira mexicana (Mauria sessiliflora, Tapiriria macrophylla seem to be synonyms). It looks like a lighter-colored mahogany, and in fact around here people sometimes call it "caobilla" ("small mahogany"). It is hard, heavy, and straight-grained as far as I can tell.

The wood is very hard! Or at least, much harder than what I'm used to. I took a 2" long sliver from just under the bark, about 1/8" thick, and couldn't snap it with both indices/thumbs. The froe just dented the end-grain of a 2" thick section by a couple millimeters. The sawmill owner who gave me that chunk said "you won't be able to split it"; he was absolutely right :)

I want to use it for tool handles, and if patience allows, for plane bodies.

Does anyone know anything about this wood? What techniques do you use for beasts that refuse to split - just patient ripping / etc?

David Weaver
01-10-2011, 2:38 PM
If it's not too thick, i'd rip it with a handsaw. If it's really thick, I'd saw blanks out of it with a bandsaw. it really depends on how much work it's going to be.

Do you have access to bandsaw?

Federico Mena Quintero
01-10-2011, 2:49 PM
If it's not too thick, i'd rip it with a handsaw. If it's really thick, I'd saw blanks out of it with a bandsaw. it really depends on how much work it's going to be.

Do you have access to bandsaw?

It's pretty thick :) Maybe 20 cm at its thickest. I'll try to get it quartersawn; it should yield two or three 10x10cm thick blanks. I'm making a framesaw, but if the wood proves too hard, I'll ask the sawmill guy to rip it for me.