PDA

View Full Version : Lake Yale Florida Woodturners Symposium

Paul Singer
01-10-2011, 1:37 PM
I am in Florida for the winter in the Leesburg area. About 10 miles from me they are holding a woodturners symposium at Lake Yale Feb 4th,5th and 6th. I would like to attend one of those days and was wondering what you get for the basic entrance fee without signing up for individual workshops. Also can you normally get into these without advanced reservations. I have never been to a symposium and think this would be a good opertunity but not sure what I am in for.

Thanks

Rick Markham
01-10-2011, 3:51 PM
Paul, I am anxiously awaiting responses to these questions, as I am also planning on attending for the first time! Hopefully someone will chime in

charlie knighton
01-10-2011, 4:23 PM
florida woodturning symposium is well run, clean rooms if you want, no alocohol if stay on site, you can park your car, and walk to rotations of 1 1/2 hours, 4 aday i believe, good food at cafateria see web site for demostraters

good time, if you can attend a state's symposium i think you will enjoy it

i attended florida's symposlum last year and will attend tennessee symposium in late janurary this year

Don Geiger
01-10-2011, 5:28 PM
I have been going to the Florida Symposium every year since its inception. I have been a demonstrator and I teach the hands-on workshops for sharpening each year. There are daily fees available. About 5 hands-on workshops are offerred on Friday for a fee. These fill up fast and usually have waiting lists. Each workshop is 1/2 a day- morning and afternoon classes are offerred.

The exhibit runs 1/2 day Friday, all day Saturday and 1/2 day on Sunday. The instant gallery is pretty sizeable and it runs the same as the exhibit (in the same room).

They have some interesting events on Firday and Saturday nights. There are top name outside demonstrators and an impressive host of Florida turners doing demos Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

This is held at a stay, eat and play facility. They usually draw in excess of 250 attendees. It is well worth your time if you can make it. The web is: www.floridawoodturningsmyposium.com (http://www.floridawoodturningsmyposium.com).

Sincerely,
Don Geiger

Thom Sturgill
01-10-2011, 6:15 PM
You can visit for a day - $60 to the symposium and $11 to LYBCC - meals are good and lunch is $9.00. Both Malcom Tibbets and Kurt Theobald are teaching session on segmented turning, so if interested in that, this will be a particularly good symposium.

Paul Singer
01-11-2011, 7:48 AM
Thanks for the input. I am going to make every effort to attend one of the days probably Friday. Sounds like it will be well worth the time.

Rick - When were you planning on going?

Don Geiger
01-11-2011, 10:15 AM
Paul:
Unless you are signed up to attend one of the hands-on workshops that are offerred on Friday, there's a lot more to see on Saturday. There will be several demonstrations being presented simulatneously all day Saturday.

Don Geiger

Thanks for the input. I am going to make every effort to attend one of the days probably Friday. Sounds like it will be well worth the time.

Rick - When were you planning on going?

Paul Singer
01-11-2011, 9:02 PM
Don,

Thanks I will try and make it on Saturday then. This helps alot.

Rick Markham
01-12-2011, 1:13 AM
Paul, I am going to do my best to try and attend Friday and Saturday, not sure yet. I will have to see what the budget and my exam schedule looks like. If I have no tests the following monday I should be home free for the whole weekend!

charlie knighton
01-14-2011, 12:41 PM
new development:

http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/images/icons/icon1.gif
I will be substituting for Bob Rosand, whose wife, Susan, is ill. I wish her a speedy recovery.

I'll look forward to seeing some of you there. I go pretty much every year, and enjoy it. Its low key and pretty casual, and they do a good job. And it's Florida in Feb. I take my bicycle, and my motorcycle if the weather looks promising. :)

John