PDA

View Full Version : A question from a rookie

Jim Heikes
01-10-2011, 1:18 PM
I am really new to the turning game..............I'll have plenty of questions over the next months but a first one is.........I have a supply of blanks arriving which are coated in wax.......do I simply "turn off" the wax or is there a preferred method......:confused:

By the way.....the only good thing about winter is being able to spend all day in the wood shop!!!!!

Michael James
01-10-2011, 1:41 PM
Welcome to the creek! Yes, just chuck it up and have a go. Sharpen up your credit card, because this is one deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep rabbit hole - the Vortex!
Also, great and very knowledgeable people here to answer all your questions.
mj in NM

Roland Martin
01-10-2011, 1:49 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Jim. I scrape mine off prior to mouting it mostly so I can get a better look at the figure, grain and colors to help determine how it should be mouted. I use a paint scraper and it scrapes off very quickly. Hope to see some turnings from you in the future!
P.S. I'm kinda' a rookie too, so don't only take my opinion:)

bob svoboda
01-10-2011, 1:55 PM
Welcome, Jim. I just turn mine off 'cause I'm too lazy to scrape it.

Jim Burr
01-10-2011, 2:41 PM
Hey Jim...welcome! Your first posting should be of a full wallet...cuz it's gonna be empty from now on! To your question...turn that stuff right off...easy squeezy lemon peezy

Jim Heikes
01-10-2011, 2:56 PM
Thanks to all of you for a quick response.................I've already been caught up in the Vortex........Packard, Monster, Craft,. et al already know me on a first name basis. Ever since I got my 3520 last month the $$$$ are going in one direction. The great thing with retirement is that I can spend many hours in my workshop everyday!!!!

Steve Schlumpf
01-10-2011, 3:03 PM
Jim - Welcome to the Creek! Looking forward to seeing some of your turnings real soon!

John Keeton
01-10-2011, 3:26 PM
Jim, welcome to the creek!! You have already received some answers, but I scrape the wax from my blanks as it tends to get all over my gouge. I have had it clog the flute before, and that seems to impede good flow for the gouge.

Michael Mills
01-10-2011, 4:35 PM
What everyone else said but would add…
If you are working on a concrete floor sweep up into a pile as soon as you have the wax trimmed off; it get very slippery under your feet.

Bernie Weishapl
01-10-2011, 5:06 PM
Welcome to SMC. I mount the blanks and take one or two passes to clear the wax so I can see the grain and wood. I have a brass brush I keep by the lathe to clean off the gouge. Simple and easy.

Wally Dickerman
01-10-2011, 5:40 PM
NO..don't remove the wax until you're ready to turn the piece. The wax is there to keep the blank from cracking. When you're ready to turn the bowl just mount the blank and turn away. Any wax disappears as you turn it or before that when you bandsaw it round..

Wally

Frank Van Atta
01-10-2011, 5:58 PM
Nobody has mentioned how to remove wax from burl "horns" (most common in Australian blanks) that you don't want to turn off: just use a hair dryer until you see the wax liquefy, then blot with a wadded up paper towel. Continue 'til all the wax is gone - may take several sessions with the hair dryer.