PDA

View Full Version : Dovetail Jigs

Mike OMelia
01-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Recomendations? THanks

Mike

Mark Ashmeade
01-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Porter Cable 4212. One of the cheaper jigs too. Not quite as flexible as some of the pricier jigs, but very good none the less. Get the advanced manual online, and have fun. The advanced manual contains lots of useful information and applications. I had no idea I could do some of the joints in that manual with my jig.

Don't drop it on the workshop floor, they don't bounce. DAMHIKT.

Aaron Kitchell
01-10-2011, 2:41 PM
Leigh jigs offer much more flexibility. Yes they are more expensive, but it will offer more room to grow as you progress in woodworking. I would purchase an 18" or 24".

Jim Rimmer
01-10-2011, 2:45 PM
All depends on your budget and expectations. PC or Rockler jigs are good and easy to use but have limitations in width and not being able to do variable spacing. Leigh and Akeda are much more flexible and much more $$$.

Lee Schierer
01-10-2011, 3:03 PM
All depends on your budget and expectations. PC or Rockler jigs are good and easy to use but have limitations in width and not being able to do variable spacing. Leigh and Akeda are much more flexible and much more $$$.

I agree with Jim. I have the Rockler jig and it works well once you figure out how to set it. Their instructions aren't terribly clear or helpful. It does a very good job for evenly spaced dovetails on boards up to 12" width. I like the depth stop settings on the PC jig. I may have to make a similar set up jig for use with my Rockler jig. I also like the fact that the width stops appear to be adjustable without dismantling a portion of the jig to make changes.

Michael Schneider
01-10-2011, 4:09 PM
Recomendations? THanks

Mike

I like my Keller for through dovetails, and box joints. Braindead simple, nice looking joints.

http://www.kellerdovetail.com/

I also have an old Porter Cable Omnijig that knocks off production runs pretty nicely.

I picked up an Akita at woodcraft when they were clearing them out (almost giving them away), but I have only lightly used the jig. It seems pretty nice.

Good luck,
Michael

frank shic
01-10-2011, 4:46 PM
learn how to cut by hand and you'll have infinite variability lol

Jim Summers
01-10-2011, 5:02 PM
I have the Leigh D1600 and like it. User Manual is great also.

Bob Wingard
01-10-2011, 5:07 PM
If you really like the Keller ... buy a Leigh. Sounds kinda crazy, but if you setup the Leigh for a particular joint that you like, you can use it (the Leigh) with a pattern routing bit and a piece of polycarbonate or B.B. ply to effectively make your own Keller.

Mike OMelia
01-10-2011, 5:42 PM
I'm kind of embarrassed that I asked instead of searching first... and you guys are always SO willing to chime in without telling folks to search before asking. I did search and decided that it would be the Leigh if I wanted to go high end and the PC 4212 (or 16) if I want go quality but not so high price. Now if I can snag one from the classifieds... all set. All that you said here only confirmed that for me. Thanks!!

Mike

"Gary Smith"
01-10-2011, 8:34 PM
I've been happy with my PC Omi Jig

Mark Blatter
01-10-2011, 8:59 PM
I have had the Leigh D4R (I think, but would need to go check to be sure) and have enjoyed using it. I bought it as it gave me 24" of room which I needed to make some cedar chests for my girls. I cut the first by hand and realized that cutting three more by hand would just take too much patience. Once learning how to use it, it is easy to use and setup. Not the least expensive by any stretch, but worth the money. I fully expect that I can pass it on to one of my kids or grandkids.

Jonathan Spool
01-10-2011, 9:17 PM
If you don't plan to cut dovetails on a regular basis, I would say go with the Akeda as it is the easiest to setup and get going without any fuss.

Clarence Miller
01-10-2011, 9:50 PM
I bought the Harbor Freight. It is a really good paperweight/toe stubber depending on it's location.

Bruce Wrenn
01-10-2011, 10:15 PM
Before discounting the PC 4212, go and read both standard and advanced manual. They are available online. It's amazing what you can do with this jig.

Mike OMelia
01-11-2011, 1:27 AM
What is the difference between the Leigh D4R and the same in the Pro version? I would be happy with the PC 4212. Had a few close calls in various classifieds, but no luck yet.

Mike

John Fabre
01-11-2011, 3:54 AM
This is what I found on Leigh's website

"The D4R is now the D4R Pro
NOTE: Where the name D4R appears, consider it the D4R Pro.

What's different? The D4R Pro is the same four-time award-winning D4R Dovetail Jig with two great new joint making options, both using the standard dovetail finger assembly:

five sizes of single pass dovetails
two sizes of precisely fitted box joints, all routed with the standard dovetail finger assembly."

Brian Penning
01-11-2011, 6:52 AM
I like the PC 4212 also.
Biggest reason for me is the short RE-learning curve when I use it only a few times a year.
It's also a heckuva lot easier if you can have 2 dedicated routers for it.

Charles Lent
01-11-2011, 8:44 AM
Mike,

There is a Leigh D4R and their FMT jig available on www.ncwoodworker.net right now.

Not mine. I'm an NCwoodworker but not connected otherwise. I already own both jigs and am very satisfied with them. Unlike many other woodworking jigs that are on the market, the Leigh jigs will do everything that they are supposed to do with amazing accuracy and repeatability.

Charley

roman fedyk
01-11-2011, 10:39 AM
I agree with Jonathan, if you want a dovetail jig that works great and is simple to set up, get the Akeda. If you want to play around with settings all the time get one of the other jigs. I have many dovetail jigs, including the Leigh D4R, an Omnijig and two Akedas. I only use the Akedas now while the others sit around collecting dust. I bought an extra Akeda as a backup but have found that it is so robust I have not needed to use it.

Great machine and well designed.

If you don't plan to cut dovetails on a regular basis, I would say go with the Akeda as it is the easiest to setup and get going without any fuss.

Mike OMelia
01-11-2011, 10:58 AM
Since I live in Alabama, I cannot see the item. How much does he want for it?

(the Leigh)

Mike

Ryan Hellmer
01-11-2011, 11:06 AM
I agree with Roman but take some issue with Jonathan's post. I can't say enough positive things about my akeda. It makes variable spaced and pitched dovetails (through and half-blind) and can also make box joints, sliding dovetails and a number of decorative joints. My favorite feature is the repeatability. You can make variable spaced joints, remove the setup and come back later and make the exact same joints with precise repeatability.

I think what Jonathan is getting at is the really fast learning curve with the AKEDA. I had perfect fitting joints within a half hour of getting the thing out of the box.

With any of the higher end jigs (leigh, PC, AKEDA) there is some serious $$$ in getting everything setup to realize the full potential of the jig, but I think it's worth it.

A couple other desireable features of the AKEDA are near perfect dust collection and solid support on both sides of the router, you can literally use it one-handed.

Lastly, I don't work for or sell AKEDA (or any toolmaker for that matter), I just love the jig. I've also got a leigh FMT that I LOVE, leigh makes good stuff, I just prefer the AKEDA for dovetails.

Ryan

Neil Brooks
01-11-2011, 11:07 AM
It really seems like there are two tiers of DT jig -- the P-Cs (whether 4212 or Omnijig) and the Akeda/Leigh/Keller.

I would think .... it's a good time to make a realistic assessment of your own needs -- what kind of DTs will you do, how frequently will you do them, and what's your price range.

That led ME to the 4212, and ... I'm quite happy with it. And ... yeah: that "advanced" manual is a gem !

But ... it surely seems like the top tier ARE "that much better," if they fit YOUR needs AND your budget !

Jim Rimmer
01-11-2011, 2:08 PM
Check this out right here on the Creek: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?152716-Porter-Cable-5116-dovetail-jig-NIB-(Utah)

Rob Holcomb
01-11-2011, 8:48 PM
My vote is for the Keller. First time I used it, I made perfect through dovetails. Not many jigs make me say "wow" when I use them, but the Keller jig did!

Jim Eller
01-11-2011, 8:57 PM
Love my 24" Akeda. Easy and accurate every time.

Danny Hamsley
01-11-2011, 11:46 PM
Mike,

I have the Leigh D4R. I like it for the capability to select my preferred spacing and because I can cut dovetails in a wide panel up to 24". The sliding dovetail capability is great for wide panels as well. A blanket chest with through dovetails is a beautiful sight to me.

Mike Heidrick
01-11-2011, 11:48 PM
I've been happy with my PC Omi Jig

Same here. No need for another IMO.

Charles Lent
01-12-2011, 7:47 AM
Since I live in Alabama, I cannot see the item. How much does he want for it?

(the Leigh)

Mike

Mike,

He's asking $1000 for both the D4R and the FMT. Both appear to be in excellent condition (from the pictures) and not more than a few years old. Contact dahutch@hutchwood.com

You should be able to access ncwoodworker.net and even join the site. Although it was started in North Carolina, there are members living in many states.

Charley

roman fedyk
01-12-2011, 2:40 PM
You have to live in a state that borders North Carolina to be a member.....

Van Huskey
01-12-2011, 3:11 PM
I have tried all the top end contenders Leigh, Akeda, PC Omni-Jig and the Incra. Incra of course is a more specialized joinery system and though I love it for many reasons isn't really a contender for a pure DT jig. I find the other three to be different flavors of ice cream that usually elicits a love or hate reaction. I prefer the newest PC Omni-jig and find it as or more flexible than the other two and easier to setup. I will say however that the jig with the most following seems to be the Leigh but it escapes me since it is my third favorite.

Burt Alcantara
01-12-2011, 4:56 PM
I have the Incra Ultra. Can cut any type of dovetail in any spacing as well as box joints. They also have their double-double joints. In addition, you can use it on your tablesaw for precision cuts.

Mike OMelia
01-12-2011, 11:03 PM
OK, I am betting this might stir the pot a bit. http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/dovetail_jig_compare.htm I keep hearing that you can do more with the PC (42/51/71 series) than what is normally stated. But this seems to say otherwise (unless you add a lot of addons). I would SERIOUSLY love it if someone could refute what this guy says about the baseline 5116!

For the record, I am leaning towards the Akeda with the #3 kit for starters. Heck, I might buy the whole shebang. I know everyone has their preferences.

OK, fire away.

Thanks

Mike

Mike OMelia
01-13-2011, 1:27 AM
I have been studying the Akeda page and one thing strikes me. The bit sets go from 7, 9, 11, 14, and 20 degrees. With the starter kit (A) you get the 7 deg finger guides and the bit set (among other things). It strikes me as odd in that it would apear that the 9-20 deg bits cannot be used since the associated finger guides are not there... and this would imply for max capability, you would have to get the 64 piece (C) kit. Am I reading that correctly? It also does not appear possible to buy individual guide sets, only in kit form. Please, somebody familiar with the Akeda, please explain this aspect of their marketing.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike OMelia
01-13-2011, 10:33 AM
Anyone know?

Howard Jahnke
01-13-2011, 10:37 AM
+1 on the Akeda. I use it sporadically every few months or so. Learning curve/setup is a breeze. My dovetails turn out perfect every time. It is truly a pleasure to use. Pretty much everything it's touted to be, it lives up to. Ease of use, repeatability, etc.

roman fedyk
01-13-2011, 10:47 AM
All the guide sets are available separately. Go to thejigstore.com click on "create an order" and you will see all the spare parts available for sale. I think they cost under $20 for a bag of them. Buying the C kit is the most economical way to go.

At this time no jigs are available for sale at the jigstore.... no date has been indicated when more will be available. Currently only jigs sold secondhand are available, and very, very few of them at that.

Ryan Hellmer
01-13-2011, 11:44 AM
I have the whole shebang. Buy it and cry once. Yes you are correct, for through dovetails in 9-20 degrees, you need the correct guide fingers (dovetail bit with straight guides, straight bit with angled guides). You could perform half-blind dovetails without the corresponding angled guide fingers, but who likes those. I haven't bought anything from Akeda in a long time, (since LOML bought me the complete kit to go with my basic jig), but you used to be able to buy individual components. Again, you'd spend more now, but the kit really is worth it in my opinion. Also, do consider 8MM shanks. It's a simple bushing in the router, but as with all jigs, with the bit hanging out that far, every bit of extra steel helps. I have the 1/4" bits and haven't had an issue, but I can only imagine how much better 8MM would be.

The Akeda website doesn't seem to have everything, check www.thejigstore.com (http://www.thejigstore.com).

Ryan

roman fedyk
01-13-2011, 12:05 PM
I just found out that Kevan Lear from Akeda has found a partner for manufacturing the jigs and production will start again. Thejigstore is setting up a list of people that want the jig and will contact them when product is available.

Good news as this is a super jig for sure.....

Mike OMelia
01-13-2011, 12:27 PM
I have the whole shebang. Buy it and cry once. Yes you are correct, for through dovetails in 9-20 degrees, you need the correct guide fingers (dovetail bit with straight guides, straight bit with angled guides). You could perform half-blind dovetails without the corresponding angled guide fingers, but who likes those. I haven't bought anything from Akeda in a long time, (since LOML bought me the complete kit to go with my basic jig), but you used to be able to buy individual components. Again, you'd spend more now, but the kit really is worth it in my opinion. Also, do consider 8MM shanks. It's a simple bushing in the router, but as with all jigs, with the bit hanging out that far, every bit of extra steel helps. I have the 1/4" bits and haven't had an issue, but I can only imagine how much better 8MM would be.

The Akeda website doesn't seem to have everything, check www.thejigstore.com (http://www.thejigstore.com).

Ryan

Ryan, Thank you so much!!! I finally understand the situation. Yeah, in this case, I think I will go whole hog. It did not occur to me that 8mm was a heftier shank. But with the "C" kit, you get the collets. So, no problem.

So, what is the relationship of the Jigstore and Akeda?

Mike

Mike OMelia
01-14-2011, 12:18 PM
I have made my decision. I have studied this thing ad-nauseum, read reviews, spoke with folks. The Akeda DC16 with the Starter Kit A as a package from the Jig Store (its $399!). Based on the fact that I do not do a lot of these, but do not want to be limited in the future, it makes the most sense. When I look at the PC, my other studied jig, I can't get over the added cost of all the templates!

Thanks for all the help.

Mike

Jim Leslie
01-14-2011, 7:12 PM
I have the Leigh 16" model and love it. The documentation is excellent and the DVD very well done. Excellent quality. If I didn't have a better way to do box joints, I would have got the template for it also.

Mike OMelia
01-15-2011, 1:50 AM
What blows me away is that the PC seems like such a cool entry to the gig. When you study the literature, it becomes obvious that you can spend well over $1000 for the same capability as the Akeda (at $600 or less. $400 being the best estimate). You really have to read the fine print. The PC, at any level, cannot do through cut DT. That in itself is quite surprising. (ok, maybe the 4216 can, not sure).

"Gary Smith"
01-15-2011, 11:58 AM
What blows me away is that the PC seems like such a cool entry to the gig. When you study the literature, it becomes obvious that you can spend well over $1000 for the same capability as the Akeda (at $600 or less. $400 being the best estimate). You really have to read the fine print. The PC, at any level, cannot do through cut DT. That in itself is quite surprising. (ok, maybe the 4216 can, not sure).

Not sure what you are talking about but just today I cut 10 drawers using my PC omi using through Dove Tails. Say what you want, but a some point you might reach a point the the Akeda falls short in what it will do for you