PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
01-10-2011, 12:21 PM
10 Jan 2011

Good Morning Everyone,

Woke up to a nice snow here today. Started late yesterday afternoon and we did what we always do...set out a bowl to catch snow in so we can make some snow ice cream later on today. It's always good and the family really enjoys it. One of my boys said that "thanks to global warming, we have had a colder than normal winter."

Been helping the LOML rearrange the master bedroom, organize stuff around the house and spend time with the LOML Jr and her finance' while we talk over wedding plans.

The LOML Jr has plenty of ideas for dad to make stuff for her over the next several months. I guess I will be dusting off the tools after all.

Well, that's it for me....so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Rod Sheridan
01-10-2011, 1:05 PM

I worked on my assortment of QSWO sticks.

Isn't that what all A&C furniture is?

It will be a tile topped coffee table, a sample tile is in the foreground..........Rod.

Ryan Hellmer
01-10-2011, 1:38 PM
I'm about half-way done with my kitchen cabinets. This weekend I finished all stock preparation (except for the panels) I'm really loving the woodmaster right now, I ripped all the stock using the gang rip feature and then ran all the pieces through the planer (up on edge) to make sure everything was dead even with no saw-marks. Used the powerfeeder on the shaper to groove the faceframes for tongues on the plywood and assembled the faceframes using the Kreg. Last night I got the shapers set up again, one for coping all the rails and the other, with powerfeed, for putting the profile on the rails and stiles. I'm hoping tonight to start gluing up panels and profiling all the rails and stiles (for doors and decorative ends).

I started this project (with rough stock from the sawmill) Dec. 17 and plan install for the weekend of February 12. I think it can be done. If I get the solid wood parts done this week, plywood is this weekend. I'm a little worried about getting all the drawer boxes and sliders done, but worst case scenario, those can wait until after the install. The joy/pain of doing it yourself.

Ryan

David Hostetler
01-10-2011, 2:16 PM
I spent LOTS of quality time in the shop cleaning up and reorganizing. I am far from done, but I have the front half of the shop, the area between the table saw, and the doors 100% done. I sealed up some drafts with expanding foam, and upgraded the dust collection on my sliding miter saw from the miserable excuse of a bag, to a 2.5" shop vac connection to work with my Thien Cyclone. Not a perfect addition, but better than stock by a long shot... My suction is pretty low on that setup right now. I suspect I need to clean the filter, it's been over a year now...

Part of my reorganization including moving 2 of my 39 drawer small parts cabinets UP the wall, to just under the shelf along the east wall, and mounting my router / drill bit holder just under it, as well as my cheapie Skil router bit set. (The MLCS set is off to the side).

I know it doesn't sound like a lot was accomplished. All I can say is that I have removed 2 totes, 3 portable awnings, a folding camp kitchen, and 2 64 gallon trash rollaway cans full of debris out of the shop... I am also working feverishly to get rid of household hazardous waste such as old cans of spray paint, and lvarious automotive chemicals.

LOML has grudgingly given me the time I need to move forward with this, which is fine, because she knows when I am done in here, I move on to the home office, which means her and I are going to spend LOTS of quality time with a shredder. Not to mention I need to get rid of LARGE volumes of old, obsolete computer hardware. Things like ISA sound and network cards, 14.4 KBPS modems etc...

Once the shop is finished in the cleanup / setup phase, I am going to shoot and edit a video tour of this thing. This is something I have wanted to do for a while and the shop has just been too messy to do...

Callan Campbell
01-10-2011, 4:43 PM
Started a small "redo" project of a new stand for the Flat Screen TV inside our entertainment center. The electronics under the stand seem to change or need changing every 5 or 7 years, so the room under the TV is always in a state of flux due to the different sized boxes needed to fit under the stand. Making it out of some Cherry and Walnut plywood scraps that I have left over from a nieces past project. Added solid mahogany banding to hide the ply edges. Will add a slide out shelf on top of the stand with 2 bottom mount metal slides to allow the TV to be pulled out, or slid back in if we're needing to close the tw pocket doors of the cabinet. Nothing fancy, just fun for a change, and who knows how long all those silver, white and black boxes are going to be there once the new,larger stand is built.

Matt Meiser
01-10-2011, 5:16 PM
Friday was my company's annual meeting/party so I flew to St. Louis on Wednesday for some pre-meetings. LOML flew down Friday afternoon for the party and stayed until Sunday to spend time with family in the area and flew home last night. Only WW-related activity was stopping at the Rockler in STL since we had a little time to kill (and ended up having to have them ship some stuff to me :D) and view pictures of the AMAZING work that one of my cousins has been doing in a high-end house he has been working on. I'm talking magazine-cover type stuff. I don't see him very often and though he was more of a general contractor than a trim and cabinetry guy.

John Cavanaugh
01-11-2011, 12:45 AM
Did some work on my bench project. Got the mdf layers for the top completed and I painted the base.

Sigh, Im such a terrible sprayer, I can do so many things in life very well, but darn it if HVLP spraying isnt one of those things that completely eludes me...

Jim Becker
01-11-2011, 9:50 PM
I did some odds and ends jobs this weekend around the house including working on getting a room ready for our younger daughter to move in that is bigger than her present room. I do need to get into the shop for a few hours to clean and do machinery maintenance, but there are way too many odd-jobs pulling at me in the house right now.