PDA

View Full Version : HD's PC892 kit worth it for motor? ($99)

Kelvin McConnell
01-10-2011, 11:07 AM
I picked up the PC892 router last week at HD for $99. I was needing another router to use in my table/lift and the PC motor fits. My current router is the Dewalt 618 3pc base kit. The PC was an impulse buy when I saw the price. I started researching the 890 motor since then and it has a wide range of reviews (from garbage to great). Is there anything I can check to see if this one is worth keeping or if I need to return it? It will get mostly light use, but I do have plans to make some cabinets in the future (3.5" bits).

John McClanahan
01-10-2011, 5:55 PM
Can't help you on the PC, but I have the same DeWalt kit, and like it a lot.

John

Victor Robinson
01-10-2011, 6:06 PM
I think it's a good deal for a lift motor. One-wrench bit changes is a good thing. Only thing that makes me hesitate in your situation is the fact you want to run large panel bits. You might be better served by a 3hp router in that case, but then again, it's practically a $200 difference.

Mike Henderson
01-10-2011, 6:22 PM
I've used an 890 motor in a table for years now with no problems.

Mike

Kelvin McConnell
01-11-2011, 7:37 AM
I've used an 890 motor in a table for years now with no problems.

Mike

How old is your motor/where was it made? Mine is "Made in Mexico".

Jim McFarland
01-11-2011, 8:08 AM
If you have or plan to get a dovetail jig: I keep a cheap single speed PC 690 dedicated to DT jig use. Bit is set at exactly the correct height for half-blind dovetails so I don't have to fiddle with adjustments each time. Your router probably more than you need for such a purpose but router cost was the determing factor for this use for me.

Curt Harms
01-11-2011, 8:41 AM
The biggest complaints I've seen about the 890 series routers is that they're too tall for free hand use. I've used one free hand with the grip-vac handle for dust/chip collection. It works better than I'd have thought cutting dados where the entire base is on the work. I doubt the router/grip-vac handle/vac hose would work well for edge work where balance was an issue. Bosch colt works great though. That motor should be fine in a table. If you're planning to use the built-in motor raising mechanism, I haven't used it in a table but it seems sorta flimsy and not real precise. It might be fine, I don't know.