PDA

View Full Version : Turning blank sealing?

Roland Martin
01-10-2011, 10:13 AM
I had sawn up a couple of birch logs last spring, removed the pith and chunked it up. All of the cuts had been given 2-3 coats of anchorseal, piled on a pallet under trees in the back yard & covered with a tarp.
I pulled the tarp this weekend & noticed quite a lot of checking so decided to cut them into blanks, free from checks and anchorsealed them completely with 2-3 coats.
My question is, can I leave them like this for quite a while, or will they continue to check? Should they also be bagged, paper/plastic?
Thanks for any info that can be offered.

Steve Schlumpf
01-10-2011, 11:25 AM
Roland - the anchorseal does a good job at slowing down the drying process but it does not stop it completely. If you want to take extra precautions - then you can store the anchorsealed blanks in a cool area. You do not want to use plastic as that traps all moisture and that will lead to mold.

As far as how long you can store these new blanks - a lot depends on the moisture content when you sealed them, where you store them with regards to heat and humidity and what kind of risk you are willing to take. For me - when it comes to green wood - the sooner I turn it, DNA it, wrap it - the better. Long term storage of green wood never seems to work because nature takes over and the decay process begins!

Good luck with this!

Bernie Weishapl
01-10-2011, 11:30 AM
Steve said it best. I have some blanks I cut last spring that I anchorsealed and so far they look pretty good. A cool, dry place is best. It will also depend on the wood. The stuff I have cut into bowl blanks were cherry, walnut, elm and oak. All are ok but the oak is checking pretty good so need to get it turned soon. The rest seems to be doing fine.

Roland Martin
01-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Thanks, Steve & Bernie. I guess I'll finish cutting up the remainder of the birch into blanks & sealing them so as not to lose any more from checking & move on to rough turning. Can't fool with Mother Nature!

Steve Schlumpf
01-10-2011, 12:05 PM
Roland - if you plan on rough turning a few blanks real soon - that would be the time to place in plastic bags! Won't need any anchorseal on those blanks!

Roland Martin
01-10-2011, 1:13 PM
Thanks, Steve! As far as the DNA soak, I've heard you say that you use a heavy duty trash bag with shavings and pour the DNA in and tie the bag. How much shavings and DNA is needed? How long do you soak, a month or two? I assume you can re-use the same shavings & DNA for another rough-out later? Do I remind you of a 4 year old with all these questions?:D

Prashun Patel
01-10-2011, 1:14 PM
I'm not in these guys' league, but have found that limiting air movement is also critical. I experienced more checking on sealed logs that were stored in a mezzanine with a slatted floor in my warehouse than ones stored directly below it on the concrete.

I also do as you do: when I see checking, I take them to the next stage pdq.

I've also experienced more success recoating the end grain if it's not waxy to the touch.