PDA

View Full Version : How to make curved panels

Hans Braul
01-10-2011, 6:31 AM
I am planning to make a bed with curved headboard and footboard - see sketch.

I want the panels to be of highly figured walnut. I have considered two approaches. One is to use solid wood and shape using spokeshave. While I'm sure this would make beautiful panels, it would involve a serious amount of elbow grease, it would be expensive, and it would not result in symmetrical panels. The other option is to use veneer on curved panels. I have done very little veneering, much less to curved panels. I am thinking of using 1/4" or 3/8" baltic birch panels and steam bending them. I have zero experience with this and am wondering if anyone has done this. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Hans

Richard Wolf
01-10-2011, 7:58 AM
The panels aren't structural, so you could use bending ply or make your own by kerfing the one side of the ply and veneering both sides with the walnut. You will also need some type of form to insure all panels being the same.

David Thompson 27577
01-10-2011, 8:38 AM
Here's one more thought.....

I've seen many sleigh-style beds, and I own one too. In the vast majority of these, the panels are actually flat, even though most of them are mounted in curved work. The panels are held in frames that are flat, but the end pieces -- the legs of the headboard and footboard -- have the curves and carvings that are typical of the genre.

Chris Fournier
01-10-2011, 8:47 AM
Personally I'd veneer over bending plywood. You'll get consistancy in both profile and wood grain/figure and it will be the easiest build option.

Jamie Buxton
01-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Here's another vote for bent plywood with veneer. I've seen those sleigh beds that have flat panels, and it just looks wrong to my eye.

I don't know that steam bending plywood doesn't work -- haven't tried it -- but I'm really skeptical. I'd expect the layers to delaminate when steamed. However, bending plywood works great, so that's what I'd use. You do need to make a bending form, then laminate several layers of bending ply over it.

For veneering, a vacuum bag is really the best tool. It assures that the veneer is sucked tightly to the substrate everywhere while the glue dries. If you have a vacuum bag, you can also use it in the bent-lamination task. It'll clamp those laminates together while the glue between them dries. A tip -- the bending form can be outside the bag for the bent lamination. You use the form to establish the curve, but the vacuum only does the job of assuring good lamination.

Here's a pic of my current project. It is a vanity that will eventually get a slab stone top. The doors along the bow front were formed with bending plywood, veneered with birdseye maple after the bent-lamination step.

James Phillips
01-10-2011, 10:47 AM
That curve is very soft. If you have a way of cutting the stock to <1/4 in thick, you could build a form and face glue three together around the form and let dry. This will lock in the curve and still give you a "solid" wood piece. More work than the veneer on bending ply, but a little stronger as well. With all that said I would use the veneer and ply

Hans Braul
01-11-2011, 7:35 PM
Here's another vote for bent plywood with veneer. I've seen those sleigh beds that have flat panels, and it just looks wrong to my eye.

I don't know that steam bending plywood doesn't work -- haven't tried it -- but I'm really skeptical. I'd expect the layers to delaminate when steamed. However, bending plywood works great, so that's what I'd use. You do need to make a bending form, then laminate several layers of bending ply over it.

For veneering, a vacuum bag is really the best tool. It assures that the veneer is sucked tightly to the substrate everywhere while the glue dries. If you have a vacuum bag, you can also use it in the bent-lamination task. It'll clamp those laminates together while the glue between them dries. A tip -- the bending form can be outside the bag for the bent lamination. You use the form to establish the curve, but the vacuum only does the job of assuring good lamination.

Here's a pic of my current project. It is a vanity that will eventually get a slab stone top. The doors along the bow front were formed with bending plywood, veneered with birdseye maple after the bent-lamination step.

Jamie,

That looks fantastic. Great advice - I think I will need to get a vacuum bag.

Many thanks for the tip
Hans

Jamie Buxton
01-11-2011, 8:14 PM
... I think I will need to get a vacuum bag....

To do it on a budget, get a pump from www.joewoodworker.com, don't use a controller, and make your own bags. If you decide you want a controller, you can always add it later.