PDA

View Full Version : Hi there !

John Pollman
01-09-2005, 10:22 PM
Howdy folks,
I just joined this evening. I was told about this place by another of your new members, Steve Ash. (Thanks Steve) Looks like a great place to hang out.

My name is John Pollman and I'm a self employed licensed residential builder in Michigan. I don't build homes because I'm a "one man crew" but I take jobs that I can handle by myself. I do decks, finish work, hardood flooring and ceramic installations, general repairs, etc. Actually there's not too much around a house that I won't tackle ! I've got a nice size area that I could eventually turn into a workshop but right now it's just a storage space for a bunch of my tools. Being a contractor I'm LOADED with tools ! I've always liked woodworking and in fact just this morning I ordered a set of plans for a wooden fishing boat that I'm going to build. Can't wait to get started on that project, it's gonna be fun. Also I'm considering custom building new cabinets for my kitchen sometime in the future but I've got a couple of bathrooms that need attention first. (What else is new, there's ALWAYS something that needs to be done around the house :) ) I've been licensed for about 10 years but I've been doing this type of work for over 20 years. Well I feel like I'm rambling here so I'll cut it off but I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. I'm in the northern suburbs of Detroit, MI (about 20 miles N. of Detroit) Anybody else here in my area ?

Talk at ya soon !

John

Steve Ash
01-09-2005, 10:44 PM
I'd like to be the first to say welcome and I'm glad you found the site.
Steve

Dick Parr
01-09-2005, 10:58 PM
John, Welcome to the SMC! :)

John Pollman
01-09-2005, 10:58 PM
Thanks for telling me about this place Steve, I think I'm in trouble now ! :)

You posted a pic of one of your projects so I'll do the same. It's not as nice as your bar but it's the only pic that I have on my PC right now that is of one of my projects. It's a fireplace mantle. When we moved in there was an UGLY dark brown very simple mantle that went from wall to wall and was about 14' long. My wife and I both hated it. We really wanted something "rustic" so I thought about it for a while and came up with something that you might see in a log cabin. I contacted a log home builder and bought the raw logs from him and got busy. This is what I came up with :

http://home.comcast.net/~jpollman/mantle.jpg

Maybe over time I'll get some more pics together of projects that I've completed and post them here.

I know, I know.... I need a pheasant to balance out the display. It'll fit real well there in that empty space to the right. ;)

John

Boyd Gathwright
01-09-2005, 11:04 PM
Hi John,

,,,, Welcome aboard, always good to have new people. Psssst the picture police are coming. One way to ward them off is to post pictures often.

.... Hope you enjoy hanging out here ;).

Boyd

Howdy folks,
I just joined this evening. I was told about this place by another of your new members, Steve Ash. (Thanks Steve) Looks like a great place to hang out.

My name is John Pollman and I'm a self employed licensed residential builder in Michigan. I don't build homes because I'm a "one man crew" but I take jobs that I can handle by myself. I do decks, finish work, hardood flooring and ceramic installations, general repairs, etc. Actually there's not too much around a house that I won't tackle ! I've got a nice size area that I could eventually turn into a workshop but right now it's just a storage space for a bunch of my tools. Being a contractor I'm LOADED with tools ! I've always liked woodworking and in fact just this morning I ordered a set of plans for a wooden fishing boat that I'm going to build. Can't wait to get started on that project, it's gonna be fun. Also I'm considering custom building new cabinets for my kitchen sometime in the future but I've got a couple of bathrooms that need attention first. (What else is new, there's ALWAYS something that needs to be done around the house :) ) I've been licensed for about 10 years but I've been doing this type of work for over 20 years. Well I feel like I'm rambling here so I'll cut it off but I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. I'm in the northern suburbs of Detroit, MI (about 20 miles N. of Detroit) Anybody else here in my area ?

Talk at ya soon !

John

Jerry Olexa
01-09-2005, 11:09 PM
Welcome John. Glad you're here.

Charles McKinley
01-09-2005, 11:52 PM
Hi John,

Welcome to SMC. If the abbreviation get to you there is a post around with them and what the mean.

What style of boat is it? There are at least a couple of boat builders here.

Work Safe

John Pollman
01-10-2005, 7:28 AM
Hi Chuck,

I can usually deal with the abbreviations. I'm a member of another board that uses a lot of them too. The boat is just a little 12' flat bottom fishing boat. I've got a lot of small lakes in my area that I like to fish. I've got a 10 footer already but it's one that I bought at Bass Pro Shops. It works great but there's a certain amount of satisfaction and feeling of accomplishment to launch and fish from something I created with my own two hands. I think it's going to be a fun project.

Tyler Howell
01-10-2005, 8:10 AM
Welcome John,

Glad to have you wading in the Creek and love to see pix of your work, tools shop, boat......... You get the idea.
Great folks here.

Rob Russell
01-10-2005, 8:18 AM
Hey John, welcome to SMC. As a professional builder type, don't be afraid to jump in with "well, here's what I've seen in the houses I've worked on" sort of comments.

Rob

Ken Fitzgerald
01-10-2005, 8:55 AM
Welcome to the 'Creek John! Beware Tyler....he's the Officer-In-Charge of the Photo Cops! Post pictures often and he and his subordinates won't be harrassing you! Again ......Welcome!

Ted Shrader
01-10-2005, 10:29 AM
John -

Welcome to the Creek. Lots of different types of experience around here to share ideas with. Glad Steve pointed you this way.

Welcome,
Ted

Lou Morrissette
01-10-2005, 11:17 AM
John,

Welcome to the Creek. Great place to hang out and share ideas.

Lou