PDA

View Full Version : missionary sofa/couch

Karl Card
01-09-2011, 8:50 PM
A while back I had came across a missionary style sofa that looked like a "U" that had been cut in half long ways. Very interesting sofa and really neat. Anyway I cannot find or figure out where I saw this at and wondering if anyone else has seen such a monster.

It was really neat for the fact that at the bottom of the U is where it would be halved and in the picture I saw I think that is the part where it lets the people sitting view the fireplace, or at least that is how I want it.

Any help appreciated.

Mac McQuinn
01-10-2011, 12:46 AM
Karl,
The December 2000 issue of Wood magazine has one on the cover & plans inside. Called "An Arts & Crafts Classic" also includes plans for matching chair.....Is this what you're thinking of? Let me know, I may have an extra issue to spare.

Mac

Brian Penning
01-10-2011, 7:14 AM
Something like this? Often called a prairie settle.
http://www.stickley.com/OurProducts_Details.cfm?id=1399&Collection=Mission&cat1=88&view=all&view=complex&finish=

Karl Card
01-10-2011, 2:12 PM
Sorry but that is not it. That is a nice one also but the one I saw is basically it is two pieces. Each piece looks just like half of a "U". A "U" if it were cut in half LONGWAYS not across. Then where the curve is (at the bottom of the U) is where the opening is from the two sides being seperated from each other. I apoligize for not being able to describe this better. I am so frustrated that I lost the plan or where I found it at.

Mac McQuinn
01-10-2011, 4:08 PM
Karl,
The piece Brian provided a link for is the same as what I have.....I'm a bit of A&C's fan so when you find it, could you share the details of the design?
thanks,
Mac

Karl Card
01-10-2011, 5:50 PM
Not a problem at all. It is frustrating though, I had it on my harddrive then I had a hd crash and most every plan I have was backed up but that one. I remember that the person who made it was a vip in the woodworking world I believe and it truly was one of a kind but wow it was just awesome. But yes when I find it I will post it to this thread unless someone else comes up with it first.