PDA

View Full Version : Spruce Burl Bowl

Rich Aldrich
01-09-2011, 8:29 PM
This bowl was made from a black spruce burl that my cousin found. It had been sitting in his garage for 2 years. Today, I chucked it up and started turning it. I was going to try to set the pitch, but will wait on that experiment until I get one that is unclaimed. I promised to give this one back to him.

The bowl is 6" diameter and 3" high. I really like the marble look and the contrast of color. It has one coat of salad bowl finish so far.

Jim Burr
01-09-2011, 8:38 PM
That bowl has more goin' on than a Superbowl half time show! Amazing chunk of wood!

David E Keller
01-09-2011, 8:42 PM
What a great looking chunk of wood, and a nice looking bowl too!

Steve Schlumpf
01-09-2011, 10:27 PM
Rich - you sure made the most out of that chunk of wood! Love all the color variations!

Roland Martin
01-09-2011, 10:42 PM
That's one great looking hunk of wood, and a great job turning it.

Baxter Smith
01-09-2011, 11:04 PM
That is some great looking wood! I have only opened up one spruce burl, but mine didn't have much color except for the outer layers which were starting to decay. Was this one like this all the way through? A spalted burl?

Bill Bolen
01-10-2011, 12:07 PM
Great piece of wood and you treated it well! Love all the color and wild grain. I think you now have a cousin who will be looking for more wood for you...Bill..

Bernie Weishapl
01-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Wow that is some pretty wood and a really nice bowl. Grain and color are just great.

Rich Aldrich
01-10-2011, 8:20 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys. Burls are a lot of fun because they are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to find inside. I hope Forest Gump doesnt mind me stealing his line.

I have a good source for wood with my family in logging.

When turning spruce like this, dont smile when you are turning with your face shield up. Those chips stick to your teeth and the pitch is difficult to remove.:eek::rolleyes::D

philip labre
01-10-2011, 8:39 PM
Nice bowl Rich. I've passed on a number of spruce burls because I was concerned with not setting the pitch and having it weep constantly.

Rich Aldrich
01-10-2011, 8:43 PM
Philip, I plan to try to set the pitch in one that isnt spoken for. I have an outdoor wood boiler and plan to put a rough bowl in the back where the water lines connect. There is about 1 ft wide space the height and width of the boiler and it gets to about 140 degrees. My concern is I do not have control to ramp up the temperature.

Jerry Marcantel
01-10-2011, 9:28 PM
Rich, that's a beautiful piece of wood, and you did it justice by bringing out it's beauty.......Jerry (in Tucson)

John Keeton
01-10-2011, 9:32 PM
Beautiful piece of wood, and well done!